Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie looking for the right entry-level machine...

Hey guys, first post here! Hoping you can help me figure out which 3D printer I should start with. I've been looking through 3D Hubs' Trends page and reviews and 3D Forged's Buyer's Guide.

I think I've narrowed down my choices to either a LulzBot Mini, QIDI Tech I, or a cheap Prusa kit (for learning purposes).

Basically, I've seen 3D printers in action, but I've never actually operated one. I'm not looking to make anything specific, just really interested in 3D printing and I want to check it out.

So, on the one hand, I wouldn't mind having something easy to use that can easily churn out prints. And on the other hand, I see the benefit in getting a cheaper model that I can make mistakes on.

What I'd like to know is what you'd recommend for a beginner? I have no problems spending more, but is it a general consensus that beginners should start out with a kit first?

Any help would be appreciated!

Technologist
    I keep pushing this printer because I really want one (can't justify another printer). The Prusa i3 MK2 is receiving really high reviews. It doesn't show up on 3D Forged buyer's guide but it is on 3D Hub as the highest rated desktop printer. It is being manufactured and sold by Prusa himself. Worth a look.

IMHO a kit is where it is at for first timers. You will learn so much by building a kit and the MK2 has a great amount of support.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol - as far as a kit goes.
    Nope I wouldn't recommend people start with one.
    Given how many ready built machines there are now in the budget sector. I would never recommend a kit over a built and - presumably - tested that it works, machine.
    I'm not convinced that you'll learn a great deal from building a kit apart from increased levels of frustration when bits are broken or missing or you can't calibrate, or it just doesn't work properly, or there's no software and when you do find it, it doesn't work (all threads we've had from people with kits)

Plus the ready built ones tend to be more substantial.

A good general purpose machine is the wanhao duplicator i3 - either the 2.1 version or the slightly more expensive plus version.

qidi tech make some good machines too. if buying a replicator clone - these days I'd be inclined to go for a qidi tech over a ctc. Better build quality and fewer issues that I've seen.
    Flashforge don't make a basic replicator dual clone any more, just the more expensive pro version - which is a shame as mine's been hassle free for the last 1200 plus hours.

If you're not fussed about size of build volume the flashforge finder is a neat bit of kit and looks cool.

But some indication of intended use would help :-)

Super Moderator
    I have the QIDI and it is a good straight forward printer. I also built an Original Prusa MK2 and that is no easy task. It was rewarding to get it printing nicely but the build can be frustrating even for someone with experience.
    Staying with an enclosed dual extruder design gives you options especially if you are not sure the direction you will ultimately go with printing.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    For an absolute entry model I recommend the Wanhao duplicator i3.
    I have heard only good things about the Prusa printers if you are up to the DIY challenge.
    If you are on a decent budget I am a fan of the ultimaker original because of its reliability, it's open-source and has great community support.

the ultimakers are good (the new one is over priced) - but these days in the same price range there is massive competition and you could definitely get a machine with a dual feed single extruder. Which is something I'd want if I could afford it :-)

Technologist
    I guess it depends upon how much tweaking you are comfortable with. A £300 Chinese copy can produce excellent results, but may need some tlc to get printing.

Don't forget you will need some slicing software (free works, but some paid for software is easier) and I would avoid any printer which ties you into a specific brand of filament.

A heated bed is a must for abs, but dual extruders are not really required. Think about bed material and fit some print tak or similar, as it will help with bed adhesion and make printing easier.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog View Post
    I keep pushing this printer because I really want one (can't justify another printer). The Prusa i3 MK2 is receiving really high reviews. It doesn't show up on 3D Forged buyer's guide but it is on 3D Hub as the highest rated desktop printer. It is being manufactured and sold by Prusa himself. Worth a look.

IMHO a kit is where it is at for first timers. You will learn so much by building a kit and the MK2 has a great amount of support.
    I just went through the same thing, i decided on the Original Prusa I3 MK2 as this fellow stated, but its a month back order in kit and even more in put together. SO as you stated the cheap I3 knockoff to wet my feet and all goes well then the "good" one later maybe even a spend more money. Going cheap can be a hazard, get a poor experience and it could sour you and you would never know it was just cheap crap that was causing all your problems. SO take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

I picked up a A6 ANET I3 (upgraded 2016 was all over the ad on Ebay) this is the older model the A8 is the current knock off. it was $180 shipped and i got it about 5 days ( made sure it was a US seller as I am in US). It was acrylic and I do notice a little flex, but on SOLID table helps this. Right now I am super happy with this choice as I have had excellent results, my prints are turning out far better then I expected when i compare them to others i know with machines that cost up to $2000. Now dont think i'm saying that my $180 is comparing, I am just saying my knowledge and looking at my prints and others with more expensive machines at this point mine are looking as good, but i have yet to print multi part, or super large things where warping and calibration matter.

I think going cheap and building it yourslef is a good option if you are not 100% sure this is a long term thing. Building it was no issue at all, but I do reapair almost anything I have myslef, cars, computers, house, etc.. so i have knowledge of DIY stuff. With that said, its not a real hard thing to build. Mine came with NO instructions, just a layout of the Electronics board (how to plug it in) and links to Youtube videos. They where pretty easy to follow, but had a few out dated parts, such as screws not matching which could be very confusing, mine had 2 instances of this, I went to local hardware store an bought about $5 worth of new screws and in the end found I had the correct ones, they where just mislabeled or looked different then the video (Phillips head instead of Hex/alan wrench head). The bars the liner bearing went on where extremely tight in a few pieces and i had to do some acrylic sanding to make them fit.. I think i could have forced the issue but felt a little surgery was better, it was less then a minute with a piece of emery cloth. Overall it went together very well i think. Theer was also a BED LEVELING video which i followed to a T (it is almost an Art, not so hard to understand, but getting good at it will take practice). My first print was awesome, test print built into machine, my second print (thingverse) was horrible. I cam here and got some advice and quickly solved my problem (99% my fault) i had setting in CURA wrong, i was tweaking without knowing anything. SInce i have done 20 or so prints and all have worked excellent.

CHEAP machine (and from my reading not all are created equal, you go this route its a real possibility you simply get crap).

Pro's- cheap
    when set up correct it sure seems to print as good as much expensive machines
    Easy way to dip your feet into 3D printing and not have a $2000 decoration (this is my #1 thing where i think there is a reason to even look this route)
    did i mention it was like 1/6th the price of an OK "known" machine?

Cons
    You need to be able to follow instructions and build it
    You have no idea if the components will last, burn out etc.. I have heard the knock offs have issues with boards and heat bed connections
    You need to be able to improvise when the instructions are not 100% clear
    you cant expect it to print like a $2000 machine, mine seems to ,but I sure wouldn't promise that to anybody.
    I doubt this machine will have LONG term reliability, the liner bearings are ok, but with use i think will loosen up, upside there are plenty (at this time) replacement parts for these knockoffs on EBAY, but with this tech, my guess what we are using today will be surpassed quickly and who knows if it will be around later (parts).
    NO MANUAL!!!!!! you figure this out yourself, not hard, but i sure wouldn't mind a manual.
    Getting a crap one, poor fitting or? so your first days in 3-D printing is nothing but bad results could sour you, put you off the whole thing when buying something more proven should eliminate this.

Overall i cant be happier, and while it way to early to tell, I am almost 100% sure I will be upgrading the the Prusa I3 MK2 in the future when demand is less, and who knows by that time what appears to be a awesome printer may be even more unproved.

Student
    Anyone have experience/knowledge of a TAZ 5? There is one here locally, $2500, comes with some rolls of filament. I see that there is a Taz 6 at about the same price. Noobe looking, so trying to avoid known headaches.

no printer is perfect and no two users are the same.
    the taz are good machines.
    But there are a lot of machines in that kind of price bracket that might suit you better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast