Close

How to replicate a missing part for somethingt?

Hello guys! This is my first post on this forum, and I really hope you guys can give me a hand here!

I've come into the possession of a Walkman cassette player made by Radio shack from the 80's, I think. The only issue with it is that it's missing the belt clip attachment! And if any of you have ever tried to stuff a massive cassette player in your pocket.. that doesn't work so well! So, I think my only option (other than to buy another one JUST for the belt clip) is to 3D print a replacement part. I myself don't own a 3D printer, but the university I attend has one I can use.

My question is, how do I go about designing the piece? I don't exactly have the dimensions of the object I want to create, but I've contacted a few people who are selling the item asking for photographs of the clip. I obviously have the mounts it fits into, so I can figure out exactly needs to happen there. But aside from all of that, how do I actually make a model of the object to be printed? I've done some game design, so I'm familiar with modeling programs like Blender, is it anything like that? What software should I use?

I think one of the biggest issues is knowing exactly what size to make this thing. How should I measure my walkman to assess the exact dimensions I need? Obviously the actual clip can be any shape really, but I'm concerned about the locking system, and getting all that measured up. I suppose I can just test fit, and sand down anything that doesn't fit, right?

For an item that will support a bulky object like this, I think it'll need to be a touch bit of plastic. Do you all have any recommendations as to how to print it/what plastics to use to insure that it will be stable enough, and I wont accidentally send my new toy crashing to the floor? As far as I can tell, there are three locking "tab" pieces that help lock the piece into place. Imagine a batter door cover, with the little tabs you slip into the main body of the thing to secure it. Exactly like that. I won't be in danger of snapping off a tab into the socket if I 3D print, right?

Here is what the mount looks like : http://i.imgur.com/xuBQfv8.jpg

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys can give me, I really appreciate it!

Super Moderator
    I would say aside from starting to design one search around the web for a Walkman belt clip STL file and see what you find.

As far as designing one as long as you can get the new clip to attach to the Walkman then the rest is up to you as to how you want it and what will work. No real rules on this!!

Blender might be a start of one of the free CAD programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsonp10 View Post
    What software should I use?
    List of MCAD software

As far as the shape and size of it goes, don't worry about that too much as long as it fits snugly into its receptacle. The rest is entirely your call as you are the design engineer of the project.

Staff Engineer
    Unless you're looking for a learning experience (in which case, have fun with it) you can just buy a replacement clip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2321242...&ul_noapp=true