Close

Unhappy Problems with PETG... very frustrated!

The noob in me is probably coming out and Im sure there is a simple solution to this problem, but I'm banging my head against a wall. I recently bought a monoprice maker select V2 and it has worked great so far. I bought the printer to help print prototypes of a part that i am working on before we start mass producing them. When I printed with standard PLA it worked great. I would come across typical beginner problems and learn whats wrong and move on. Now I am moving to TECHG PETG filament for the added strength and flexibility. The first print I did with petg worked great. But now everytime I try to print something I get this snowflake effect where the filament gets flaky on the support and just becomes a mess. The first layers come out fine and adhesion isn't a problem. I've messed around with different temperatures and cooling but can't get any results. I'm really stuck with this one and it's frustrating as it is holding the prototype phase up. Need help ASAP. I tried taking some photos to better explain what is happening cause I don't really know how to describe it. What am I doing wrong??
    IMG_1485.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1483.JPGIMG_1482.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    See if you don't have a blob of plastic sticking to the outside of the nozzle, PETG loves to do that and cause a mess.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    I print PETG (TGlaze) the same as ABS - 240C, 30mm/sec, fan at 25% after layer 5. Comes out great.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    What am I doing wrong??
    to answer that you'll have give us some actual information on what you are doing.

You've got underextrusion. It could be down to printing temp and or speed. People tend to print much faster than they should. Manufacturers habitually put ridiculously high print speeds down, that just aren't practical.

It could be down to a partially clogged nozzle.

For pet-g I use 245-255 print temp, no faster than 50mm/s print speed and a bed temp of 75c

So what print settings are you using ? Slicer ? etc