Close

Heavy Duty Material for 3d Printing

So I've got a design...but I need a material. I need a heavy duty material that can withstand 3 to 4 tons of pressure in a machine or automotive environment and can be 3-d printed. Something that is relatively flame retardant or resistant, waterproof or resistant, does not degrade rapidly, will not degrade when coming into contact with oils or solvents. Am I asking for too much? The size would really only need to be about 6" in diameter?

Can you all help me find a readily available material that I can use and a 3-d printer that can produce the part?

Thanks!

Engineer
    i think its best you talked to someone at shapeways. they will probably direct you to metal printing. they will know the specs on their materials though. good luck

Hey thanks JimC. I'd love to talk to someone at Shapeways or anywhere else that could help me solve my problem, but unfortunately I think you may be wrong in directing me toward their metals department. I'm actually thinking about another material not unlike a rubber, neoprene, soft-plastic or synthetic moldable material. Maybe what I really need is someone who can produce molds and postitives of those molds...sorry if I waisted any of your time. Can 3-d printers spray these materials that will hold up to a beating and the weght or do I need to look for someone to produce a mold and ultimately produce these parts the old fashioned way? I can explain myself if someone wants to reach out to me directly, otherwise it is proprietary.