Close

Filament getting stuck in head

I've run into an interesting problem. The short question is: Is there a way to adjust how far the filament is getting pulled back during a move?

Under a normal print, I'm not having any problem. This particular part has a lot of little "islands" or posts that are around 1mm in size, so from one post to the next, the filaments retracts as it should during a move. I have one color that works perfect fine and is 1.75mm, my other color is bit off so it's 1.68 on average so I adjust slic3r for that difference.

During the print, It's very evident that the filament is stuck in the extruder and it actually takes a lot of effort to manually remove it. My theory is that I'm getting a little molten backflow inside the extruder head and it's cooling and sticking. With the large number of retractions for the little posts, this is compounding the problem since it would keep pulling the heated filament backwards a lot.

Without having to reprogram the firmware, does anyone know if there's a setting where I can reduce the "pull back" amount so I can see if I can solve it with this method. Obviously, changing filament to the correct size is the easy way out! ;-)

I'm using a MakerFarm Pegasus 10", Titan e3d-v6 hot end, Repetier with Slic3r, and 3D solutions PLA filament.

Thanks!

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The setting you are looking for is called retraction. And you will get to it via repetier under the slic3r tab if you click the configuration tab it will bring up a window and you can goto printer settings I believe and adjust retraction amount in mm for each extruder you have separately. remember to save the settings before slicing

Thanks. found it. I'll give it a try.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    one of the things to do is get the retraction speed as fast as the machine and filament can handle.

The upper end is generally between 40-60mm/s.
    If you start using flexible filaments, you want as little retraction as possible and a lot slower, or it can buckle in the extruder. For most rigid filaments this is not an issue.

I was able to change the retraction from 2mm to 0.5mm and it worked with no noticeable problems. The speed is currently set to 40mm/s. I'll give it a try at the higher speed at some point. Thanks!