Close

Thread: Roxy Iris Box

Roxy Iris Box

Hi everybody! This is my first post on 3dprintboard.com! I liked the Iris boxes I found on Thingiverse, but I wanted to make some changes. I wanted:

• a thicker (and stronger) box.
    • to make it have lettering on the leaves
    • change the speed at which the leaves open (so they open easier)
    • change and simplify the way the door mechanism mounts to the box

So... I reverse engineered the design at: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:140048 And now I have source code to print a 'Roxy Iris Box' ! Attached are both the source and the .STL files. The source is included so you will be able to make changes and recompile. (You will need to hunt down a copy of the font.dxf and put that in the same directory as the Roxy_Iris_Box.SCAD file. I cant attach a binary file!)

If you choose to build this, you need 5 STAINLESS PHILLIPS PAN HEAD SCREWS 4/40 X 3/8" Type T-23. (It's easiest to get these on eBay but you might get something close enough at your local hardware store).

SAM_0058.jpgSAM_0059.jpgSAM_0062.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Roxy; 04-26-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Tell them they need 5 screws

Technologist
    Looks good, thanks for sharing... I'll be printing one for my sis when I finish my printer build.

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    Looks good, thanks for sharing... I'll be printing one for my sis when I finish my printer build.
    If she doesn't like the Brand Name Roxy, you can hunt in the source code for the code to lay down the letters. (About 125 lines from the start) Ideally, she will have a nick name with less than 5 letters so one letter can end up on each leaf! Have fun!

Nicely done there! ^^

Thats Reprap i guess, create new things, or improve whats already there.

Great contribution for a new member,

Btw you are using a Prusa, But whats that type of extruder?
    Never seen Ethernet cables, But it does look neat, Alot better then mine wich is well, has alot of wires haha :P
    I hope you enjoy your stay here ^^

Best regards,
    DrLuigi

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Nicely done there! ^^

Thats Reprap i guess, create new things, or improve whats already there.

Great contribution for a new member,

Btw you are using a Prusa, But whats that type of extruder?
    Never seen Ethernet cables, But it does look neat, Alot better then mine wich is well, has alot of wires haha :P
    I hope you enjoy your stay here ^^

Best regards,
    DrLuigi
    I bought a kit from one of the Grad Students at my school. It took a while to get the kit together and working. But when everything was together, I didn't really have anything that needed to be printed. So the printer started evolving itself. The original parts were black plastic, and everything on my printer that is new is not black plastic.

The extruder is a heavily modified Wade's extruder. For some reason, my extruder motor would wimp out and not have enough power some times. So, I kind of brute forced it with a very low gear ratio. I had to warm over the Wade's extruder to have enough space for the gears. And of course, I had to have auto_bed_leveling. So more iterations of the extruder to have the servo nicely embedded in it and to make it so the Z-Probe can kick down with high repeatability. And of course, messing with the extruder meant connecting and disconnecting things all the time so having the network cable jacks makes it real quick and easy to put the extruder on and off the printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I bought a kit from one of the Grad Students at my school. It took a while to get the kit together and working. But when everything was together, I didn't really have anything that needed to be printed. So the printer started evolving itself. The original parts were black plastic, and everything on my printer that is new is not black plastic.

The extruder is a heavily modified Wade's extruder. For some reason, my extruder motor would wimp out and not have enough power some times. So, I kind of brute forced it with a very low gear ratio. I had to warm over the Wade's extruder to have enough space for the gears. And of course, I had to have auto_bed_leveling. So more iterations of the extruder to have the servo nicely embedded in it and to make it so the Z-Probe can kick down with high repeatability. And of course, messing with the extruder meant connecting and disconnecting things all the time so having the network cable jacks makes it real quick and easy to put the extruder on and off the printer.

Ye, And in my opinion its pretty nice, And as they are cheap and common its not a hassle to get one.
    More companys that make kits should think about this one to be honest ^^
    Didnt even see the Z probe, as its hidden away in your pictures :P

Looks like a great printer, nice job!

I am here still fiddling around to get the offset right in the Z(just bought some parts to get my printer auto level ready), so far its pretty good, But still a very little off. a few hundreds i am guessing.

Oh well kinda getting a little off topic here i guess.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    If she doesn't like the Brand Name Roxy, you can hunt in the source code for the code to lay down the letters. (About 125 lines from the start) Ideally, she will have a nick name with less than 5 letters so one letter can end up on each leaf! Have fun!
    Thanks, in fact, her name is 5 letters long, so works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    Thanks, in fact, her name is 5 letters long, so works perfectly.
    The problem with 5 letters is there won't be a space between the first letter and the last letter. BUT... You have the source.... You can change it to have 6 leaves and one of them can be blank!