Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tsteever View Post
    Can you describe your probe setup a bit more in-depth? It may be best if it were it's own thread. A probe intrigues me but I thought you had to have a metal bed to make them work. My servo mounted probe is getting inconsistent.
    I'm going to better document my build on my blog but probably not until after the first of the year. Unfortunately the numbers/code I used in the Marlin Config file isn't going to be applicable to other Pegasus 10 users since I flipped the gantry on mine so everything is on the left side and 0,0 is in the front left corner like my other printers .....

Trust me it will be worth the wait, it's built on a Harbor Freight work table with printed feet that can also accept locking wheels and includes a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 5" touchscreen that can be used as an octo-print rig or can be used like a computer to download and slice files and control the printer with Pronterface. It's a completely self contained stand alone unit that all you need is an outlet to plug it into and an available WiFi connection. I wanted something I could easily move from my workshop into my computer/design room. The entire reason I bought and designed this is because I blew my back out in late June and couldn't get out in my boat. So I built a new printer instead ...... I didn't even plan to start this until next year

Depressed? Life has got you Bummed Out? Build a new printer ......

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I know it is frustrating... But it really is helpful to turn on your bed and nozzle and let them stabilize for 5 or 10 minutes prior to starting a print. When I decide I want to print... I want to print. But if it is something I care about, waiting 5 or 10 minutes really helps!!!!
    Hi

With a probe (any mechanical probe) you probably need the bed and carriage in a defined location as the warmup occurs. Where that is probably does not matter as much as it being the same every time. Most probes heat up more from the bed than from the extruder and that's why the bed to carriage relation matters.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
    Hi

With a probe (any mechanical probe) you probably need the bed and carriage in a defined location as the warmup occurs. Where that is probably does not matter as much as it being the same every time. Most probes heat up more from the bed than from the extruder and that's why the bed to carriage relation matters.

Bob
    Placing a piece of cork or even a piece of cardboard on the bed during warm up not only makes it heat faster and more evenly, it protects the probe from damage. On PLA it's not such a big deal but with ABS and 110 C bed temps it makes a big difference.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by longjohn119 View Post
    Placing a piece of cork or even a piece of cardboard on the bed during warm up not only makes it heat faster and more evenly, it protects the probe from damage. On PLA it's not such a big deal but with ABS and 110 C bed temps it makes a big difference.
    Hi

Since the cork is on the opposite side as the probe ... not so much. As long as the PID / loop parameters are properly tuned, the top side of the bed will lag the probe by quite a bit.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12