Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Staff Engineer
    I'm not foreseeing any 100X speed increases in the near future, especially in the low-priced market you seem to be focusing on. What's your hurry anyhow? How quickly do you need to fill your house with Yoda heads?

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    How quickly do you need to fill your house with Yoda heads?
    Bwahahaha!

Maybe speed is not an issue if 3D printing is your best and only hobby and you dedicate your time to running multiple printers in parallel. But for the part time printer, the requirement to babysit over (large) prints for 7-8 hours in a row, plus the added considerations like suffering the noise for that period in a home environment, bring some practical limitations to your schedule and so on.

Time required has several practical implications both for your printing activities and the rest of your day. If you could get finished models out in just 5 minutes, you could iterate much faster over prototype versions and nail the finished design in a much shorter timespan. Also I take PLA at least can be easily recycled so there is a use for all those yoda heads

That said I think already a half of my time goes to working with the 3D design part and it's easy to multitask while printing.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Lasers are cheap and readily available - not sure where you got your info from.
    Like stated it was from the Wikipedia page. Glanced over it quick and they said the availability (and safety!) of powerful lasers is just one of the blockers.

Staff Engineer
    So what's your point, exactly? If you want to print 100 times faster, go right ahead. I don't think there are any machines that come close to doing that, but maybe you'll build one and show us. And if you think the printers are noisy, wait until you start grinding up all those Yoda heads...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12