Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone know an easy way to add a pause using simplify3d?

is it possible to add a pause into printing so i can change filament at a certain level without waiting and watching the print process. i need an easy way. i am new so dont fully understand it all yet.

i.e. say i start a print and at 8mm i want it to pause/stop and then have the ability to change the filament and then hit the resume button and print the rest.
    thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/
    That would seem like a good idea for you to start on.
    Bound to be a way to do it - but not something I've ever done.

Also asking on the simplify 3d forum is a good idea too :-)

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Can't you just use G4?

i did ask support but they give me too complicated instructions for me at this point. i just figured maybe there is an easy way.

what is G4?

thanks!

Super Moderator
    Make two processes using STOP AT and START AT. Print first process, make your change then start the second process.

i have toyed with this thanks. my question is how do i get it to stop so i can change the filament? is it such where i make one process and have it stop at x layer height. then i start the next process manually and its starts at that x layer height? if so what about the rest of the coordinates on the build plate dont i have to direct the printer to start printer exactly where it left off and if so how?

or do i have both processes in one file and process one prints and the second process doesnt start until i tell it too?

thanks for the help.

Super Moderator
    Yes. That is how it should work. Set up a process for the whole print then add the stop point like layer 20. Add a second process (a clone of the first one) and just turn off the stop point and add the start point like layer 20. When you hit prepare to print it will pop up a box and select the first process and it should run to the selected level. Make your change and hit prepare to print again and select the second process and it should continue. May take some experimenting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Yes. That is how it should work. Set up a process for the whole print then add the stop point like layer 20. Add a second process (a clone of the first one) and just turn off the stop point and add the start point like layer 20. When you hit prepare to print it will pop up a box and select the first process and it should run to the selected level. Make your change and hit prepare to print again and select the second process and it should continue. May take some experimenting to see how it goes.
    is this if the printer is hooked up to the computer directly? what about if i print from an sd card?

thanks

Super Moderator
    I don't think you can from SD card. I have an idea though I may try this weekend if I get time. I am thinking on making it not only two separate processes but two separate prints. Then when the first finishes at layer X you change and then start print two at layer X everything else being the same.

HOME FREAKIN RUN! thanks for the HELP. i hooked it up through a usb cable and i now see what you mentioned and its working great! : )

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast