Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways

Peachy Construction

The Peachy Printer seems to be getting a little more complicated with every iteration, although it seems that complication is not always correlating with a reduction in ease of construction. I'm not sure where I read/heard but originally there was something said about the printer taking a few hours to put together and an indeterminate time to calibrate.

As the hardware inches towards release do we have a better idea of build-time?

I need to know how much time to book off of work!

Staff Engineer
    Actually, by having the laser on the board, they took out a few pieces and construction steps (at least on our end anyway) I kind of wonder how they are making sure the laser diode is reliably perpendicular to the board and secure when removing and replacing the aperture. also, mounting the mirrors on a loop (is that really a rubber band or is is some kind of silicone?) looks like it makes the most delicate part of assembly a bit easier. Also, while they added the magnet ring things, they took away the really finicky looking oiled tab step of the mirror assembly. On the other hand, the re-done dripper looks like it might be a little more complex than before.

All in all I say it's probably a wash between the steps they've added and the ones they removed.

This is interesting. I have not been able to get my hands on one yet, but it seems like with all the modifications, like clip on parts, fewer parts and the new dripper (I think they said in the newest update that it has much fewer parts and are faster to assemble) the building time should be much lower then in the beginning. I am a bit curios of how the will solve the tiny wires and connectivity though.

The hardware upgrades they have been doing seems to be more on the circuit board, and will not affect build time I think.

Peachy Printer Founder
    The original peachy p18 (the one in the main crowd funding video)was very very fast to build, Thats because it there was one pice of plastic that folded into position and the mirors were already in place you just had break of some tabs and wrap a thread on, it was so simple. Just talking about it makes me want to figure out how we could go back to that design knowing all we know now.

but that old design wasent orthogonal and it had lots of historeses so we moved away from it, we created much better printers that took way longer to build.
    I dont know how long it takes to build the newest printer but it will be far simpler than the one we sent the beta testers which took many hours to build.

I dont know because for example just today i finally "finished codeing" a laser cut dripper
    that eliminates 30 steps from the instructions and is a far more reliable dripper. ( nice and parametric just the way i like it )
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/tel_nzDSmG4

The build time goes up and down like a roler coaster, literally it gose up slowly and down very fast, in a process like this:

Code:
    new/ improved functionality  = build time goes up 30 min 
    whiteboard, try, fail... whiteboard, try, fail 

wow this thing works great but what a mess discombobulated parts! 
    how can all these new things fit together better ?
    whiteboard, try, fail,
    whiteboard, try, fail
    whiteboard, try, fail
    whiteboard, try, fail
    whiteboard, try, fail
    whiteboard, try, fail 
    urika moment ! = keep all functionalities and build time goes down 2.5 hours
    repeat.
    luckely we have just had 3 ureka moments this month so the revision that were currently testing is looking great and i for one cant wait to see how long it takes to build from scratch once we have truly finalized it.
    Last edited by rylangrayston; 02-04-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    I dont know how long it takes to build the newest printer but it will be far simpler than the one we sent the beta testers which took many hours to build.
    I'd like to selflessly volunteer myself as a layman builder to answer this important question.

You probably already have thought of this, but one cool thing to do: make users 3d print their printer's enclosure.

Since enclosures are for aesthetics, you don't need super tight tolerances. Also, a 3d printed enclosure with curves/rounded corners might be prettier than one made with straight plastic sheets.

Or just go to the nearest dollar store and pick up a plastic container

Quote Originally Posted by iplayfast View Post
    Or just go to the nearest dollar store and pick up a plastic container
    Meh, wouldn't be pretty enough

Technologist
    Add Chayat on Shapeways
    Or do what some of the betas have done and get something from Ikea

Staff Engineer
    Out of curiosity, I tried floating some G+ resin (supposedly the same formula as the Peachy Juice) on top of salt water and I didn't use nearly enough salt... The results were... Unfortunate. And so I panicked and dumped in more salt, which kind of mixed into the resin but didn't dissolve. (weighing it down at the bottom of the water even more, it seems) Then I mixed it all up, hoping to separate the salt from resin and cause the resin to surface when it settled out.

It ended up being a great big mess, and I pretty much left it in the sun to cure for easy cleaning. Ended up with an ugly combination of resin chunks and salt splotches all over my work tray, thankfully not too much wasted resin. (and the cured resin came off everything nice and easy, thanks to the coating of salt on the outside of it.)

Clearly, the amount of salt to water needed will be a pretty important thing to the build instructions. (if not already in there)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast