Close

3D printer ACOUSTICS? audio synthesizer running Gcode.

Hi everyone,

I want to code a synthesizer which sounds similar to a 3d printer, that can run g-codes, It's very easy for me to write a synth, i have the audio/gcode already, I just have to understand how a 3d printer works as a synthesizer.

I figure that the motors generate a sound with frequency relative to speed of rotation. perhaps a step motor generates clicks at the speed of the steps, which result in something similar to a sawtooth wave?

Afterwards, the bars act as strings of a violin, and there is another note change happening depending on the position of the bearings on the bars.

I am going to only run lines with G1 at the front and to add an acceleration parameter to dampen the speed of movements at start and end of lines. Afterwards i have to figure out how to use the oscillator pitch and the filters and additional low frequency oscillators for secondary effects of a 3d printer vibrating in it's entirety at different ratios... I will make crazy variations of the synth too. I'd love some ideas about how to test and measure the sounds from a gcode and tips about 3d printing acoustics. what am i missing other than motor sound, acceleration damping and the bar ratios?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by monstercolorfun; 09-30-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Something like this?

https://youtu.be/32kWuKysE6A