Close

Layer Shifting Issue

Using a FFCP and trying to do a dual color print (and the dual color is a problem in and of its own), but whats casing the uneven layers. Is this layer shifting? How can I fix this? I'm printing at 1.9mm height and 46mm/sec printing speed. Should I lower the speed more since it's a small part? Or speed overrides for layers below " " seconds? What causes this? I hope its not mechanical..Ive also started to notice some clicking noises as well, not sure if its related. Ive noticed other parts (different models) I've printed with a similar layer shift issue. Even printed two of the same model and they have the same similar errors in the same spots,, not exact, but close enough to be noticeable.

Super Moderator
    Aside from a bad file if the bad spots occur on different prints in the same areas then mechanical of some type is suspect.
    I had a similar issue with odd layer slight shifts. It turned out the Z threaded rod was dry and sticky and was causing slight shifts in the bed.

Reduced speed could help and is worth a try especially if the part is small.

Thanks. I just tried printing another one without dual extruding and it came out fine. Guess it's only a problem with dual extruding. Any guesses?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that's a very good dual extrusion print, do not expect miracles - what's the actual problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    that's a very good dual extrusion print, do not expect miracles - what's the actual problem ?
    Thanks, I'm not expecting miracles, I just want it to look a bit cleaner. There is noticeable layer shift with the dual extrude. Does not happen with a single color print. As far as the red getting into the grey, I'm going to work on that as far as oozing goes when its idle, but I'm trying to fix the layer shift issue. Aside from the dual color, you can see the cleanliness of the single color print, layers are aligned as they should be.

Heres a side shot of the dual extrude and then a couple pics of the single color print.

Super Moderator
    I'm going to say to slow way down and see what happens. Didn't realize it was so thin. Rapid extruder movement could be setting up vibrations kind of like ringing.

Even slower than 46mm/sec? Doesn't happen when I print it single color

Super Moderator
    Yea, look closely at where the sifts are and what else is lined up there. One of the big ones is lined up with the red line at the top. You have a lot going on at the left side there on the light color in a short space. Look at the ones in the middle, they basically line up with the letters, mostly the lower case ones.
    Just an idea. Slowing down can almost always help on print quality.