Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer Newbie

My "Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer" arrives today. I also ordered a roll of PLA and ABS. I saw a small design on Thingiverse I wanted to print. Was actually going to order it from an on line printing service but now I can hopefully do it my self since its small and I only need a couple.

So what are steps from downloading off thingiverse to printing?

I assume I must level the bed.

Set the temperatures for bed and nozzle. I would prefer to do this in ABS but might be asking a lot for first attempt.

Convert the STL file from Thingiverse to something with support structures and a format the MP Mini understands?

Then print?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    The step you're missing is feeding the STL file through "slicer" software that will convert the 3-dimensional design file into printer commands that will print the item layer by layer. At least I assume that standard approach will apply to the Monoprice printer as well.

The output of the slicing process is a "gcode" file that will contain all the point by point movement commands, heater commands, etc. that the printer will need, very similar to the same way a milling machine or laser cutter would be instructed on what to do. There are many free versions of slicing software such as slic3r and Cura. EDIT: I see Monoprice apparently includes Cura and Repetier-Host software on the SD-card that ships with the printer. FWIW, I'd go with Repetier-Host. In addition to providing the slicing function, it also provides overall printer control functions in a straight-forward user interface. The last RH version I used allowed selection between using slic3r and Cura for slicing. I was frustrated with the user interface for standalone Cura before using RH, and found RH repackaged the Cura user controls into a structure that made a lot more sense to me.

Success in your 3D printing endeavor will arguably depend on getting familiar with all the configurable settings in the slicing software that can affect your print.
    Last edited by printbus; 09-29-2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added RH info

Hello Matthew, I have had my Monoprice MP for about a week now. I am completely new to 3D printing, so like yourself, I am learning. I will let you know I have a background in CNC machines due to the nature of my day job so a lot of the processes, software, and code is familiar to me.

In my case, I pulled the printer right out of the box and went straight to printing the included sample files. I did not go through the leveling process at all. I figured I would see what this thing has right out of the box. A week later and I have not leveled it and everything is working fine and as expected.

The sample PLA filament that usually comes in the box is not enough to print much of anything so make sure to grab you a roll to start with. I picked up two rolls from MP when I ordered my printer.

My first print was the CAT file from the supplied mini-sd card. It printed very nice. The finish on the part is about an 85 out of 100 to me. There are a couple of spots that little "buggers"seemed to be on the surface, but all in all a good product.

My second step was installing the Cura software. It is present on the mini SD card and I recommend downloading from there to start. I started on the Cura website and down loaded the incorrect version. After reading the manual closer I realized I have the wrong version and made the switch. I adjusted the Cura parameters as recommended from the manual with fair results. No where near as good as the sample file. This lead me to do a little reading,where I discovered you can read the sample program back through Cura and it will capture most of the settings from the sample program for you. After this my prints were/are very nice. Be sure to save that profile and retrieve it every time you want to process anew model into G-code. The Cura software is very easy and was intuitive to me due to my background. Basically you retrieve the parameter file I discussed above, then open any STL file you have access to. It is that simple. Upon opening, the software automatically start creating the program. You can see the progress at the top of the screen on a bar. Once complete you save the program to either your hard drive or SD card. My computer has Windows 8.1, so when I have the SD plugged in, Cura sees that and indicates on the screen that it is going to save the file to the SD card directly.

Take the SD card straight to the printer and insert it with the labeling up (gold pins down). With the machine on you select “PRINT” and maneuver to the program you want and click. The machine goes through its own warm up procedure and initiates the program. Go watch a movie on Netflix and check in about every 30 minutes to see the progress and hopefully no errors have occurred.

I will tell you I have had a couple of instances where the hot end turned itself off and was not able to feed filament. This is very disappointing. I researched and it looks like others are trying to remedy that by adding a 40mm fan to the internal control board and the hot end. There are many STL files on Thingverse to print the required bracketry to attach these fans. I find it sort of fun to troubleshoot this machine and work on solutions to resolve the minor problems that it currently has.

Pleasenot that I am working with PLA for right now. I am not sure whathurdles will associated with printing ABS.

Askany questions you have. I might be able to answer them from myexperience.

Rob
    Last edited by ebug; 09-30-2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Correcting spacing issues from my office freeware when pasting text.

For settings on the printer. I have a 1kg roll of PLA and ABS. I imagine start with PLA. What did you use for Extruder and Platform temperature?

Wish there was a dummies youtube video for this printer going from downloading from thingiverse to printing.

Mathew, I will put together something tonight to help guide through downloading files up through printing parts.

The temp I use on the hot end is 200-205 C. I do not preheat the bed at all.

Rob

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    actually the most important steps are:

1) unpack the printer
    2) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND INSTALL THE SOFTWARE THAT COMES WITH THE PRINTER !!!! - you would be amazed how many people on here never do that.
    3) print something.

Assuming you follow step 2 - eevrything else will actually be made fairly clear :-)

CA, unless the manual received with the printer is better than the online one, the manual isn't a lot of help to the OP and his question on how to take an item from Thingiverse and print it. When I glanced at the manual yesterday, I remember it saying something like configure the slicing software based on the needs of the object. That's not a lot of help.

matthewh, don't fret. Help is out there. When you run into a software setting you don't understand, do an internet search on the name of the setting along with the name of the software program. I guarantee you good information is out there that explains things. Have you read through the comments for the Monoprice printer? I have found people often post good info in comments. On this printer, I saw one that mentioned a couple of resources that might be good to know about - a Facebook group with 2000+ members, and a wiki page.

If you use Cura as the slicer, note that it is put out by Utimaker, a reputable company with their own line of printers. Information on how to use Cura is available there, including a "first use" tutorial that walks you through things. Note that my frustration with standalone Cura was with the grouping of settings in advanced mode. I don't recall gripes with the *simple* mode.

Like CA suggests, print print print. Don't expect to know everything right off the bat. Start simple. If the object you *need* to print requires support, you might want to start with something simpler.

Hello, I'm seriously considering getting the Monoprice Select Mini 3D as well. I need to print small objects around the size of chess pieces and am attracted by the price and multi-filament type capability of this printer. This will be my first 3D printer, too.

I'm okay if the printed objects are not very precise, as I think I can sand/polish/finetune with a rotary tool after printing. Am I correct to make this assumption?

Also, a good friend who has been into 3D printing for a couple of years now said he preferred a printer with enclosure, because the printing environment is important. Since this particular printer is open, can you advice when an enclosure would matter? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by threedee View Post
    ...can you advice when an enclosure would matter?
    An enclosed printer is helpful (some would say mandatory) if you are printing with ABS filament. ABS shrinks a bit when it cools, and the shrinking can lead to layer delamination or bed adhesion issues. An enclosed printer will keep drafts off the print bed and help keep the print area warm, which helps minimize the shrinkage.

That doesn't mean you *can't* print ABS in an open printer. It's just easier to succeed with ABS if the print area is enclosed.

Pad eye.jpgsprit fitting.jpgI have been thinking of purchasing this printer for several weeks and would like to ask a beginners question. Will the version of CURA supplied with the printer work with a Mac computer? It seems most use PC's. I have downloaded CURA Ver. 2.3 from their website and some sample pieces I have made in Tinkercad, but the program doesn't seem to load the files or do anything ? When I have them printed at the library they come out fine. They are small model boat fittings and print in about 20 minutes ? Any help will be appreciated. Also any opinions on Craftware / Craftprint products. They seem to load fine on my mac. Attached are screen shots of the type of thing I want to print.

Thanks for any info, charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast