Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simplify3D

Simplify3D

Hi everyone,
    I have seen that simplify3D is provided or recommended with many 3D printers (Creatr, ID3 ...).
    Have any of you used it ? How does it compare to known open source soft ?
    Regards,

Engineer
    i have been using it for 8-9mos now. its the only slicer i have ever used. i love it and would use nothing else. i cant compare though since i havent used any of the other slicers. i know a TON of people who do use it. im not saying its flawless. like any software it does have the occasional bug but its always being updated and improved upon. i highly recommend it

Student
    Can confirm this, special the support is great I still can´t find any other tool were you can create (and edit) the support Material like with Simplify3D
    BR

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'll third this. Having tried most of the other slicers, Simplify3D is really, really good. The documentation is a little skinny but once you get things rolling it's worth every penny. I just went to dual extruders and it couldn't be easier to use them with S3D.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I just wish that Simplify3D had a time, or use, limited trial version. It may very well be a good program, but I'm not going to shell out that kind of money just to find out it doesn't do much more for me than Cura or even Makerware, especially since I've read a number of posts here and there with people posting that they have issues with it or that they really don't see much improvement over slicers that they get for free. It might just be the learning curve, but... it's a lot of green to have to toss in the dumpster if it doesn't do anything more for me...

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I had the same trepidation. I used Cura alot. I got the best prints I ever produced from KissSlicer. But with KS you have to use SD cards only. It doesn't support USB and I like printing via USB. I even got brave and dove headlong into Skeinforge. Man does it have a poorly designed GUI. But, if you are persistent, you can do about anything you can imagine. I used Slic3r a lot too especially once it had the Pronterface integration. What I yearned for more was a 3d preview and interface that was more helpful and intuitive. I was also looking for "manual" support creation. I tried Meshmixer and it's supports are kind of cool but you have to get pretty good with all of those angled and intersecting supports or they just don't print, fall down or don't help.

I then ran across S3D. I did a lot of reading and like you found a bunch of complaints about this and that. Then I specifically started looking for complaints about Cura and Slic3r and realized that all of them have a bunch of issues. S3D seemed to have fewer and they seemed to be isolated to a few specific things. I contacted S3D and asked about a demo and learned, like you, that there isn't one. But, their tech support is really good. They'll answer any question and I don't mean some "bot" answer. They respond pretty quickly and will walk you through anything. I have no vested interest in S3D and am not affiliated with them. I just wanted to say that because this sounds so much like a sales pitch. But, finally, I decided to bite the bullet. I've never felt like I wasted a dime. You don't have to worry about anything close to a dumpster.

So, if you ever get frustrated with slicers and want something a little different and a bit friendlier, consider S3D one more time. You'll be glad you did, really. If not, I'll refund your investment by offering some of my 3d or animation services to you that equal $200. As you know, professional 3d modeling and animation can get expensive. That's how much I like this slicer. (Note: I won't do this for everyone...lol...but I will for you 'ssayer'. That's because I know I won't ever need to pay your back.) If you search, you'll find a few more posts from very savvy users that love it too. When inexperienced users post that they don't like a particular product I have to take it with a grain of salt. But, when power users tout something, I generally respect that they've been around the block and know what they are talking about. Having read a few of their reviews of S3D, my decision was made.

I'm chuckling, I had to go look at the thread title to make sure I wasn't way off track. I tend to get wordy and carried away here sometimes. Thankfully it's titled "Simplify3D". So to wrap up, I know there are a lot of good, free and powerful slicers for us to choose from. Open-source is fantastic and welcomed. But, sometimes you do get what you pay for and with S3D, you get more.
    Last edited by RobH2; 12-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Engineer
    ssayer, if you dont like it your not out the money. they give you a 2 week trial on it. if you dont like it they will refund your money no problem. they are good like that. the new version will be out soon as well. after talking to the guys for a good while at maker faire it looks like there will be some nice additions.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have been using it for several months now and am very pleased. Blinding fast, very user friendly and I love the preview of the print. Helped me sort sevral problems before I started printed and saved me some time, plastic and frustration.

I have also dabbled with Skeinforge, Cura and Pronterface/Slic3r, but S3D takes the first place as far as I'm concerned.

RobH2: I'm still debating. I appreciate your offer, but I like the challenge of designing things myself. I come from a toolmaking (broaches) background in a smallish company. We rarely bought things when we could improvise and make it ourselves. I moved to the top of the food chain there because I actually thought that improvising to make old machines work in different ways was a fun thing to do.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    'ssayer', interesting background info. Good enough. Cool. Let us know what slicer you ultimately settle on.

Carry on....
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast