Close

Printhead and too much pressure on the z axis

Trying to print a very small objects with lots of gaps, when starting print everything going smooth but with the time the printhead start pushing too hard on the object more and more and bending it both sides as it moves, first I thought it is by over extraction but no, this is not the problem! it looks for me like the abs expanding with the time or something.
    Is there any way to manipulate Z axis in simplify3d to add some extra space at higher levels of the object ? any suggestion ?
    FCP, Simplify3d, ABS, 110C bed, 215C head
    video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3X7taiIVc

thanks

Super Moderator
    My first thought is it doesn't have time to cool between layers. Maybe slow the print more and you could have something else print at the same time.

Lower your bed to 90-95. Glass point of ABS is 105.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm with the guys, it's an inherent problem with abs.
    The lower levels will be contracting, which can push the upper levels up.

Switch to a more user friendly filament like pla or pet-g. Both are probably more suitable for a tall flimsy structure like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    My first thought is it doesn't have time to cool between layers. Maybe slow the print more and you could have something else print at the same time.
    Thanks but no luck, even trying 30mm/s

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    Lower your bed to 90-95. Glass point of ABS is 105.
    everything lower like 100C and my objects running all over the platform

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I'm with the guys, it's an inherent problem with abs.
    The lower levels will be contracting, which can push the upper levels up.

Switch to a more user friendly filament like pla or pet-g. Both are probably more suitable for a tall flimsy structure like you describe.
    Will order some petg for tests, never heard about it before, thanks

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by obecny View Post
    Thanks but no luck, even trying 30mm/s
    That's still pretty fast depending on the size of the item. What are the dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by obecny View Post
    everything lower like 100C and my objects running all over the platform
    Then you need to work on your bed adhesion. Upping the temp isn't the correct solution. I regularly print ABS with a large footprint at 90 degree bed temp without any warping or adhesion issues.

However the core of your problem here is plain physics. You are printing what is essentially a twisted ladder i.e. very thin, tall vertical pillars joined by struts. The pillars look to be about 2mm in diameter. Now remember that the extruder doesn't just 'lay down' the plastic. In most cases it will be squashed and pulled by the extruder due to the viscosity of the material. This will exert force on your pillars and cause them to move as in your video. Not much you can do. This is not the result of warping.

3D printing has its limitations. While I have seen that particular model printed before it takes a lot of fine tuning.