Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep change all three to 6 - that will give you perimeters made of 2.4 mm of solid plastic and top and bottoms of 1.8mm.
    so perimeters and top and bottom layers.
    resolution needs to be 'low (faster)'
    Combine infill should be every layer - if it will let you.
    Otherwise it offsets every other layer - which looks pretty, but is nowhere near as strong.

Have to download a copy of that software and have a play with it.

I've just bought an electroplating with copper kit to make some of my prints super strong. But I've used pla for some pretty tough items.

thanks again for your help! much appreciated!

Staff Engineer
    Get a piece of steel. Drill a couple of holes in it, and bend it into a hook shape. Install it in your garage and hang your bike on it - end of story.

Or keep experimenting with home-printed plastic hooks, but don't count on missing your car each time...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you've got no sense of fun :-)

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Get a piece of steel. Drill a couple of holes in it, and bend it into a hook shape. Install it in your garage and hang your bike on it - end of story.

Or keep experimenting with home-printed plastic hooks, but don't count on missing your car each time...
    lol actually cry out loud. my poor car!

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    you've got no sense of fun :-)
    why print one when you can print two. this thing is solid now... THANKS!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Well, let us know how they hold up!

Is that the same hook as the one you referenced?

For the record, what settings did you go with?

They are holding up great so far, yup same hooks. I followed curious aardvark reco. All layers 6 and a triangle pattern, plus 50% infill. Solid as a rock. actually as 2 rocks since i doubled up on the hooks just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Hmm, there is no reason at all not to use that hook.
    Pla should have been strong enough.

For strong parts, though, you need a lot more shells and layers - also more infill.

basically you have bugger all skin and sod all infill in that model.

Print that with 6 shells and layers at 0.3mm layer height and 50% infill and it shouldn't have any problem at all holding a bike.

The print orientation is correct. It needs to be lying flat.
    Speedwise - print at about 50mms.
    The temperature is a little high, I suually go to about 215 max for pla.
    You also want your infill combined every layer - ie: it needs to form a solid internal matrix.

You could invest in some stronger pla for this kind of model. polymaker, polyplus and polymax are probably your best bet: http://www.polymaker.com/shop/polymax/
    You should be able to print with pet-g on blue tape or pva.
    Obviously a heated print bed is best - only things I print on a cold bed are flexible filaments on pva.
    But as you don't have that option - you can play with different filaments.
    Would be worth getting a sample of pet-g and testing: http://www.globalfsdusa.com/?target=main
    trying samples is a great way to work out just what you can and can't print.
    It will print on a cold bed, thibk they recommedn blue tape - but I'd try pva (gluestick) as well

One thing you absolutely cannot use is abs - that not only requires a very hot build plate, but a lack of smell and an enclosed printer as well :-)

You could print that hook in polyflex of ninjatek semiflex - both are super strong and pretty stiff if printed as a largish model.
    I'd expect to be able to hang off a polyflex hook and I'm around 90kg.
    It would probably bend but never break - polyflef is virtually unbreakable. Short of using powertools I'd defy anyone to break a decent polyflex print with their bare hands.

But as far as your failed hook goes - you just printed it incorrectly. Needed lots of shells and layers and at least 50% infill. Triangular pattern I find best, if you've got the option.

Pla is a very strong material - as long as you use it correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12