Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technologist

FFCP 2016 bed leveling question

I like this machine but I seem to have to level the bed often. Anytime I print something I have to go through the bed leveling process. Sometimes twice during a print job. I can level the bed with the provided paper. Then start the print job. I then notice that there is no filament extruding so I stop the print and re-level the bed. Seems the nozzle was touching the bed enough to block the flow. Don't know why as I just leveled the bed!

Will I really need to do bed leveling this often? If this is normal it's kind of a pain. If this is not normal, what can I do?
    Thank you for your help
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    First, only level bed over the adjusting screws. Don't use the leveling script on the controls. Just manually move the print head to over the leveling screws and adjust to barely touch the paper. Make sure nozzle tip is clean.

Technologist
    OK...I can do that but how often should the bed need to be leveled? I have been checking it and leveling it every time I use it because ever time I use the printer the bed is in a slightly different spot.

Super Moderator
    Not often. Are you preheating the build plate before leveling? Don't preheat the nozzle.

Technologist
    No.....I have not pre-heated the build plate. I will try that.

Super Moderator
    And don't check leveling after the plate cools. Just let it be. I preheat to around 80c and it seems to be good even though I print at 95c.

Technologist
    OK...will try your approach. Do you level daily or...?? Just trying to get an idea of what "normal" should be.

Super Moderator
    Rarely.... Why would it become "un-level" under normal use? I'll check it every once and a while after a lot of printing. The nozzle tip does wear and eventully will become too far from the build plate. Then sometimes you put a new nozzle on and have to kind of start over on the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by huntleybill View Post
    OK...will try your approach. Do you level daily or...?? Just trying to get an idea of what "normal" should be.

Technologist
    I agree. Why would it become un-level that quickly? But every time that bed went down and then back up to the nozzle the gap between it and the nozzle tip was different. Sometimes the gap was too wide, sometimes there was no gap at all. I thought maybe the bed was not stopping at the exact same height which would explain the varying gaps but that was a guess and not based on any evidence.

So....I leveled the bed as you instructed and am printing stuff now. I will try several different prints and I won't touch the bed adjustment. Stay tuned!!!

Super Moderator
    The switch is reasonably accurate, that's why it does a slow home after a fast travel stop. It's really hard to tell what is going on since can't see all things that could be affecting tram. There is a difference between a tram and leveling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast