Close

Bigger Industrial Pressence? 3D Systems or Stratasys?

Does anyone know which company, 3D Systems or Stratasys has the larger industrial presence? A company I work for is strongly considering 3D printers, and we don't know who to go with. We realize that 3D Systems uses different technologies than Stratasys, but the end results all seem pretty much the same..... am I wrong?

What the higher ups in the company want to find out is which of these companies have a larger presence when it comes to industry. I'm under the impression that it is 3D Systems, but that's only because I've talked to more colleagues that use the ProJet prints in their workplaces.

Does anyone have a definite answer?

Student
    Luv2Fight : The real question is what does your company do? Both companies offer " industrial machines" that are widely used. To say results are the same is technically correct if the outcome is simply needing a printed prototype. However, depending on your actual needs would determine whats system/technology is better suited for your company. We run most of the industrial machines from 3D systems and Stratasys.

If you were to ask our techs what machines do you like the best: well you would get 20 different answers. Personally the simplicity of FDM and Polyjet is attractive as you need very little post-processing space. Projets make the most sense if you need prints for casting ( at higher volumes and less resolution than a Solid Scape)....

but to answer your question ( well kind of )
    Stratasys (NASDAQ: SSYS ) told investors during its fourth-quarter earnings call that, including acquisitions, it has sold more than 75,000 3-D printers since its inception, representing the largest installed base, or market share, of 3-D printers in the world. While this is certainly an encouraging metric that points to a steady stream of recurring revenues from consumable material sales in the future, it doesn't necessarily translate to Stratasys commanding the largest revenue share in the industry. 3D Systems (NYSE: DDD ) already controls more of the 3-D printing industry's revenue than Stratasys and that isn't expected to change anytime soon.
    Breaking it down
    In 2012, the worldwide 3-D printing industry generated $2.2 billion in revenues, of which Stratasys contributed $215.2 million and 3D Systems contributed $353.6 million. Using a combination of industry, company, and analyst metrics, we can get an idea of how much revenue share each company is expected to control in 2015.

Original Article :
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ore-marke.aspx