Close

Phone Case Design Question

I am in need of a custom iPhone 6 case design, which will form a component of a commercial product which I plan on releasing. I found several designs on various 3D printing and CAD websites which can likely be modified easily to meet my desired criteria. It would be of great help if anyone who has familiarity with the procedures surrounding the production of phone cases could answer the following:

1. From what I understand, manufacturers create a custom mold based on a CAD design. What file type is the industry standard? Are file types meant for 3D printing suitable?
    2. Can .slt designs which are printed with a highly flexible rubber material also be used for creating items with other materials (plastic, etc..)?

If anybody has knowledge/experience in this field and would like to potentially cooperate on this please leave a response or pm me.

-Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
    I am in need of a custom iPhone 6 case design, which will form a component of a commercial product which I plan on releasing. I found several designs on various 3D printing and CAD websites which can likely be modified easily to meet my desired criteria.
    These are usually protected as IP. Don't use them commercially unless you have permission.

From what I understand, manufacturers create a custom mold based on a CAD design.
    Yes

What file type is the industry standard?
    For CAD? .stp (aka step)

Are file types meant for 3D printing suitable?
    No

Can .slt designs which are printed with a highly flexible rubber material also be used for creating items with other materials (plastic, etc..)?
    Yes. All that changes are the print program settings. And material shrinkage.

If anybody has knowledge/experience in this field and would like to potentially cooperate on this please leave a response or pm me.
    Leave it in the thread. That way all can benefit. I will contribute as much as time allows me.

Staff Engineer
    A CAD file of the phone itself is freely available. You can download it here: https://grabcad.com/library/iphone-6-8

The cases that have been made to fit it, on the other hand, are generally protected by copyright, and aren't available to be incorporated into your commercial product without permission, as Sebastian pointed out above.

By "slt" I'm assuming you mean "stl" files. This is the most common format used in 3D printing, and nearly all printers support it. This doesn't include things like color, or specific settings for various materials. But it may require some tweaking if you use a material or printing technique that's considerably different from the one it was proofed in.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com