Close

Engineer-in-Training

Temperatures off on my PowerSpec Ultra 3D printer (Flashforge Dreamer clone)?

If I preheat the extruders and platform to 230 and 100 degrees and measure the temperatures using an IR thermometer, the extruder temperature is about 170 degrees and the platform temperature is about 100 degrees. I tried to point the IR thermometer at the nozzles and the heating blocks but I can't get the correct temperatures. For no reason, the PETG stopped sticking to BuildTak, blue painter tape, and kapton tape. I got PrintByte but I couldn't install it because I don't have a saw for cutting plastic sheets. Any suggestions?

Engineer-in-Training
    After cutting the PrintByte to correct size for my platform using a saw for cutting plastic sheets at the program for mentally-handicapped people, I was able to get PETG to stick to PrintByte.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you used a saw on the printbite ?
    I just scored it with a craft knife and snapped - which is what they recommend you do. To snap you need to work your way in from the edges, you don't break it in one go. It's not quite as easy as glass - but it does break cleanly.

yep pet-g works brilliantly with it, as does pla and any pla based filament.

Avoid mymat nylon and rubber based flexibles - flexible pla works well but ninjaflex and similiar stick like superglued limpets.

If you can't be arsed to wait till it cools down - like me - then a sharp tap with a plastic hammer will usually knock it loose while the bed is still hot. That's what I usually do.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I tried to point the IR thermometer at the nozzles and the heating blocks but I can't get the correct temperatures.
    I've never heard of anyone who successfully measured their hot end temperature with an IR thermometer. They seem to always read low. You're measuring the surface temperature that is affected by air cooling, and the reflective surface of the aluminum heat block will not read well. Google on "hot end IR measurement" if you want references that go into more detail.
    Last edited by printbus; 08-30-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: clarity