Close

Thread: Using Slicer

Using Slicer

I am looking at buying a PowerSpec 3d pro but have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to.

First of all, the quick question, can the Pro print PETG material?

Now for the main question. I know that the Power Spec Pro is open source but can slicer be used with it? I have read mixed reviews that day no, yes but it takes a lot of work/modification etc. And I want to know if I can slice with Slicer, save to an SD card and the plug in said SD card and print directly from there. Can anyone guide me through this question with some answers?

Thanks,
    Whizbang

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes it will print petg.

As to the slic3r question. You've pretty much answered it yourself.
    It is possible, but difficult.
    And no i never managed to get it to work, bought simplify3d instead and used makerware desktop until then and occasionally still do for dual material prints.

slic3r produces gcode files - makerbot clones don't use neat gcode files, they are converted to .x3g files that the printer reads from.

In makerware and simplify 3d this is done seamlessly within the program. With cura & slic3r you have to run the gcode through a convertor called gpx.
    There are also changes that have to be made to the startup gcode, gpx settings etc - it's not straightforward. But there are a few guides online, the couple I tride way back when did not work for me :-)