Close

Technologist

Prusa I3V 8" ABS Printing issue...

I have the Makerfarm 8" Prusa I3V. I have been having a lot of problems printing with ABS. I would like to print some spares of the Extruder blocks but no matter what i do, I cannot get ABS to stop warping. My questions it: Do I really need to use ABS to print these extruder blocks? It is my understanding that ABS stands up better to the heat from the extruders. Can these parts be printed with PLA and still hold up to the heat? Are there any long term/short term problems using PLA?

Your advise would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Bill

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    My i3v from 2014 came from MakerFarm with PLA extruder parts, and I've used nothing but PLA for them when I've printed replacements. I prefer PLA for them since I believe PLA is more rigid at lower temperatures.

The main question is whether or not you have one of the older stepper motors MakerFarm used to use. They weren't a good fit for the printer application, and tended to run very hot. Those motors are labeled as type 42BHH48-050-24A. If you have one of those, I'd consider a stepper motor cooling shroud regardless of the block material. I did have one PLA motor mount soften on a very long print with one of those older motors.

Heat from the hot end really shouldn't be an issue if your hot end cooling fan is doing its job.

Technologist
    Thank you Printbus. That is good info. I will make them out of PLA and sell my ABS spools!!!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you could always try pet-g - it's a pretty decent substitute for abs but with none of the drawbacks.

But if heat isn't an issue - then yep - pla is better.

Exactly what shapes are you printing in ABS, and how exactly are they warping? I've found with my printer if I print long narrow objects that are flat on the bed in ABS higher than 80C bed temp, they'll warp when they come off the bed.