Close

Kinect V2 with 3d scan app works great for people not so much for other stuff

This is my first post on this site but i wanted to let you guys know that 3d scanning using KinectV2 works pretty well for scanning people. I recently scanned my son and niece with very good results. I had to use Meshmixer to smooth the texture and fill a few holes. I then cut the face off and 3d printed a very life like model of my sons face.
    The problem im having is that i cant scan a certain object from work. It is essentially a flight stick that cant be purchased anymore so scanning it and having it made professionally seems like a logical option. The problem seems to be related to it being all black. From what ive read, black absorbs ir light so nothing reflects back to depth sensor. Ive tried kscan3d and exported a 36 picture point cloud to meshlab. There is so little info in the point cloud that it near impossible to align the points. Does anyone have suggestions to try? I can provide pictures of the kinect v2 setup if interested.

Staff Engineer
    Get some flat white spray paint and paint the model, then scan it.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

The model cant be replaced, and even if it could that cost would be in the 10's of thousands of dollars. I did however cover it in baby powder. Whille it work a little better ultimately it still failed. Now it just smells nice. Im now trying something new, very aimiliar setup to a mo-cap studio setup. I took about 400 pictures of it using all the different modes in kscan3d. Im currently going through the process with Meshlab.

Staff Engineer
    Can you mold it with something non-destructive, like dental alginate, and cast it in plaster? Please let us know how the photogrammetry approach works out for you.

Student
    I wonder if you could use Plasti-Dip. It sprays on, but can be peeled off. One concern would be the surface of the stick. If is if not smooth, the Plasti-Dip might be harder to get off. There are a lot of videos on YouTube about it. Check it out. I'm curious if it would work.

I had to give it back. It was a type of real electronic flight controller, that was mostly a solid piece of aluminum but had a rubber surround at the base. It also had quite a few electronic switches on it. I own a 3d printer but was not planning on printing this. Ive spoken with a local machining place and based on pictures ive shown they said they would need a 5 axis cnc machine to duplicate it.

Im proceeding to combine and align my point clouds and will hopefully come out with something useable eventually. I have very little experience with meshlab and cloudcompare so im just taking it slow.