Close

Technician

Anyone try bead blasting to smooth printed objects from lines?

Wonder if that would work.

Technologist
    With ABS, yes you can. Tried it and it works much the same as sanding.

PLA tends to melt and just scuffs and distorts.

Technician
    Thanks for the reply. Im just going to be getting into 3d printing and was wondering about that. Im still looking for
    a good printer with a large build area that is dependable The gCreate XL 1.5 looks good. I see some people using them
    and seem to do a good job and its made here in USA for good support.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    A bit of a tangent but I'm interested in hydrographic printing as a finishing technique - if you apply colored textures it also drastically changes the aesthetic of the print, plus hydrographic printing is quite easy for DIY. Finuvo did not succeed launching a device last year, so I am wondering if there are other solutions on the market.

Engineer-in-Training
    Rather than going completely off topic with a new issue, it is much better to start a new one in the aproptiate sub forum

not to derail from the sandblasting (because ive almost built a cage 2-3 times, but i dont want to waste the money if i wont use it) but the gmax printers are beasts. overall ive owned 9 printers, and its been the best overall printer ive owned for quality, sturdiness, feature set, etc.

Technician
    I might try the bead blasting in the future once I decide on a printer. There are so many of them and lots of the companies
    Im sure won't be around in the future
    The gCreate is nice but the $3000 plus $400 more for heated bed is a bit. I have a Kronos 2 88key keyboard workstation
    that wasn't that much new and there is more tech in it then these 3d printers go figure.
    I would like a good size build area and auto leveling bed and heated bed. I will have to decide if I want to spend that
    much for the Gmax 1.5 xl or some other brand for less. I know the prices on all these will drop in the future and if I spend to much I will be sorry down the road I think. Im not crazy about China stuff but who know might have to go with
    them, just worry about support and parts when they go out of business.