Close

Trying to find my software

Hello,

I am very new to 3D modeling, I'm currently using Tinkercad and I'm enjoying it alot. I just finished my first 3 models that will be, when printed, put together as one. I started out easy with a linear model and I'm very satisfied with the (theoretical) result.

Now I'd like to make a second model based on the first one, and not as linear as the first one. I would like to do shapes that are "rough", bent lines etc. If I am not making any sense I can try to find some pictures of that I mean. Basically I want a rectangular shaped wall, wich I can modify the sides on, pull out, push in, pointy edges etc.

I've tried the Extrusion shape generator in Tinkercad, but it just doesn't do what I want it to do. I found another shape generator that's called Terrain, wich would be perfect if I could bend it. Is it possible to do what I want to do in Tinkercad or do I need to use another program for this feature? I'd really like to keep going with Tinkercad, I enjoy it alot, but if it isn't powerful enough to handle what I want I am open to trying something else.

This is a whole new world to me and there are literally tons of software, but wich one fits my bill? I really like that Tinkercad is user friendly, but I wouldn't mind stepping up a bit in complexity. But I tried Onshape as well and I didn't understand much at all. Is there a software that is both powerful and user friendly for beginners like me?

I'd prefer if it was free, as I'm still really just testing the waters.

Thanks in advance!

Engineer-in-Training
    Try Sketchup. About as easy as it gets.

Technician
    DesignSpark. Best free CAD out there. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Try Sketchup. About as easy as it gets.
    Does i t have the flexible features that I'm after? Otherwise I can just stick with Tinkercad hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by dklassen View Post
    DesignSpark. Best free CAD out there. IMHO
    Never heard about that one, I'll have a look. Alot of people recommend Fusion 360, I tried to install it yesterday but had no success. Maybe Designspark will work.

Thanks for your advice, feel free to keep it coming :-)

Moderator note: Late post view due to delay in moderator approval
    Last edited by printbus; 09-23-2016 at 10:47 AM.

If you're a student you can get a student version of autodesk 3ds max that lasts about 1 year or so. I'm using a student version of inventor so i think you should be able to get it.

I have a friend whom are sitting with it a lot and he recommends it.

I agree, SketchUp is good.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    try this lot: http://www.123dapp.com/

I could never get sketchup to work.
    Plus it uses faces when you want solids.

There is s lot of free software out, even more if you're prepared to shell out some cash. Why not post some pics of what you have in mind?