Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

New guy thinking about 12" Pegasus

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to 3d printing. I have been researching printers for quite some time now and have been finding it hard to choose. I recently came across the Makerfarm 12" Pegasus and I am very intrigued. I understand its a big printer for new guy, but one of the things I am hoping to print is props and armor (kids size Star Wars, etc.) so I'm pretty certain that the larger size build platform will be very advantageous.

I have a couple questions.

1. I am pretty handy, but I sometimes lack patience. How challenging can it be to get a machine like this set up properly (and square)? I really feel that I would be better off with a kit simply to understand how the machine is made and to be able to repair/upgrade as needed. But I am also slightly intimidated as it has been long time since I have done anything of this sort.

2. Could you recommend a list of tools that will be useful during assembly. I read a lot about calipers, tweezers, and other things, but have yet to find a neat list of recommendations.

3. Just how noisy are these things? I don't have a basement or workshop to put it in. Living in NC means that my garage is usually around 90 degrees most of the summer. Plus, the wind likes to blow a lot of junk into the garage when my kids leave it open. I just don't want it to be annoying to my wife, or distracting to my kids when they are doing homework.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to share your experiences with this machine here because it will all be helpful.

Student
    I have been building this with my 16 yo daughter. Most tools needed come with it. Pretty easy to build and we have ZERO engineering building experience. There are some mistakes in the instructions as new/diff materials have been changed out. We are not at the leveling tweaking stage yet.

MODERATOR NOTE: Post late to appear due to delay in obtaining moderator approval
    Last edited by printbus; 09-16-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Hello,
    I have the Makerfarm 12" Pegasus. I started wth a 10 prusa Makerfarm and loved it so much, I wanted something bigger. As for assembly, It's very easy as long as you follow each step carefully. During my assembly I only came across two issues. The first was not reading ahead. If your not careful, not putting in a t-nut into the rail that won't be used for several steps later can be frustrating. Twice I had to disassemble the frame because I forgot to add the t-nut.
    the other was the z nut traps. They are printed and the hole that the threaded z rods(2) go through needed to be slightly drilled open. The z but trap was riding the threads instead of the actual nut. Also, the nuts need to be fully inserted into the hex cavity before putting on rod. One of my z nut traps cracked a little at this process, but the first thing you want to do with any 3D printer is print an extra set of parts.
    Printer setup. The 12 Pegasus ramps firmware comes with a bed leveling program. I used this, but was not too happy with how it is carried out and lends itself to some slight problems when trying to "dial" it in. My bed does not sit on springs, it is firm to the heat shield so all adjustments were with the print head.
    my answer to this was to add a ABL to the printer. ABL (auto bed level) will allow the printer to record the level of the bed and adjust accordingly for each print. Works great. I followed the YouTube instructions from zenmaster. A slight learning curve on getting the arduino code absolutely perfect is also required. But it's easy and logical.

basic tools is all you need. You might want to get some Allen wrenches that are long "t" handled with ball ends. Some screw locations do not lend themselves to the "Swiss army" style Allen sets.
    noisy? I really have nothing to compare it to except my other printer...it's the same. I guess I would say it's like someone rocking in a squeaky chair. You hear it at first, but you get used to it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by microjedi View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am brand new to 3d printing. I have been researching printers for quite some time now and have been finding it hard to choose. I recently came across the Makerfarm 12" Pegasus and I am very intrigued. I understand its a big printer for new guy, but one of the things I am hoping to print is props and armor (kids size Star Wars, etc.) so I'm pretty certain that the larger size build platform will be very advantageous.

I have a couple questions.

1. I am pretty handy, but I sometimes lack patience. How challenging can it be to get a machine like this set up properly (and square)? I really feel that I would be better off with a kit simply to understand how the machine is made and to be able to repair/upgrade as needed. But I am also slightly intimidated as it has been long time since I have done anything of this sort.

2. Could you recommend a list of tools that will be useful during assembly. I read a lot about calipers, tweezers, and other things, but have yet to find a neat list of recommendations.

3. Just how noisy are these things? I don't have a basement or workshop to put it in. Living in NC means that my garage is usually around 90 degrees most of the summer. Plus, the wind likes to blow a lot of junk into the garage when my kids leave it open. I just don't want it to be annoying to my wife, or distracting to my kids when they are doing homework.

Thanks in advance. Feel free to share your experiences with this machine here because it will all be helpful.
    Hi

1) Set up, build, and square ... I just put up a long and very boring set of notes on how to do that. It's not very hard. Just don't plan on doing it in 3 hours. Figure you will spread it out over multiple nights with some time off. A couple of weeks with normal family commitments getting in the way is not unusual.

2) Tools:

ball end metric allen wrenches
    a level
    Flat table with lots of room
    calipers
    string
    ruler
    tape measure
    wire cutters
    needle nose pliers

3) Noise - Mine is sitting between me and the TV in the family room. We are watching TV while the printer is running. I'm more bothered by having to look around the thing than the noise. I have ... errrr .... napped ... with it running. I would not recommend trying to do that.

4) Supplies !!!! Get some:

1/4" nylon wire covering braid. It makes the build look a lot better.
    Multi color plastic tape (Home Depot or Lowes in the electrical department) great for color coding the wires
    Order some filament with the printer
    Get the hair spray
    Get at least one piece of glass for the heated bed
    Nomex felt for the bed insulation
    Power supply - get the LRS-350-12. It's the newer version of the one he lists.
    Number 12 wire
    Crimp splices for 12 gauge wire

That should get you going.

Bob

Student
    Thanks for all the advice Bob.

MODERATOR NOTE: Post late in appearing due to delay in obtaining moderator approval
    Last edited by printbus; 09-16-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Student
    So I pulled the trigger on the 12" Pegasus today. Thanks to everyone for your help. uncle_bob, I will be looking over your various threads as I venture into new territory with this printer. I am sure there are several people out there who appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and advice in the forums. I'll be around a lot more in the near future. Wish me luck.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I think you made a good choice. Take your time building it and it should work out well.

There are a number of people here who can help on a 12" Pegqsus. That is a good thing, I get fat fingered from time to time.

Bob

Student
    I am about done with my build if you have any questions ask quickly, will save you time deconstructing what you have built already.

MODERATOR NOTE: Post late in appearing due to delay in obtaining moderator approval
    Last edited by printbus; 09-16-2016 at 10:36 AM.

I am close to finishing mine, ask questions early and often it will save you time.

Student
    What size calipers would be the most useful?

Can your recommend a source for the Nomex felt? Thickness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast