Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Student

First 3D Printer - Some questions unanswered after lengthy research

Hello, guys.

I am new to 3D printers but am quite eager to get into it. I like to think of my self as keen outdoors man and enthusiast in many areas and self-design and customisation are fields definitely up my alley. That being said, I still have a number of questions that stand unanswered concerning my first 3D printer even after the bunch of resources I read.

The first thing that I'd like someone to clarify to me is how hard is the assembling of a DIY kit. I'm more inclined towards a kit rather than pre-assembled printer because based on what I read this would get me more acquainted with the unit and its processes. I google'd and youtube'd and based on what I found it doesn't seem overly complex as long as I follow the guidelines closely. Regardless, I'd like the opinion of someone who has actually gone through the process.

Cheers, Doc.

Unfortunately the answer is "it depends". It depends on the quality of the kit as well as your own ability and patience. I've assembled a number of different printers... some were incredibly easy, others frustratingly difficult... the difficult ones particularly because the parts were substandard or missing. As long as you're not in an incredible rush to to using your printer, given enough time you should triumph eventually. GOOD LUCK!

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I've built several kits and they all have been drop dead easy to do. Getting everything aligned and working right takes a bit, but none of the work is hard or crazy techno babble intensive. Figure you are spending a month of your time to really understand how your printer works. Unless you go to some pretty expensive gear, the results from a properly assembled kit are very hard to beat.

More or less:

Pick out a kit from a good outfit with good support. (Or plan on a lot more work).

Get the kit and set aside an area to do the assembly

Read through all the instructions, and look at all the parts. Don't put any together, just understand what's what.

Start the build and get a chunk done at a time. Don't stop in the middle of an assembly.

Once the mechanicals are together, make sure everything moves without binding.

Get the electronics wired up and run through the basic checks. Plan on finding wires that are backwards ...

Once the basics are done and checked, do a print. See how it looks.

(from here on, most of this is true for any printer you get)

Start learning how the various pieces of software work and how they relate to each other

Calibrate the software to your printer

Check your prints and adjust your settings

Print up some optional bits and pieces to customize the printer for your use

Check the printer occasionally to make sure something has not come loose

Go back in about two weeks and re-do the final build adjustment steps after the machine has run in

Loop back through the calibration and adjustment process each time you go to a different type of filament.

None of it is rocket science. It's not like building a lathe from scratch. You do need to pay attention to what you are doing. The result will only be as good as the care you take during the build.

Bob

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post

Pick out a kit from a good outfit with good support. (Or plan on a lot more work).
    This is what I have in mind after the research I did - http://prusaprinters.org/prusa-i3/

I would appreciate thoughts on this particular setup. (I'm going for the kit, not for the pre-assembled variant.)

Another thing I'd like to ask is what's the deal with hacking (not sure what, actually) and printing upgrade parts by the printer for the printer.

Doc

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

For the same money:

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3...gasus-kit.html

Gives you a much sturdier printer with a much larger build area. I went through the "printed parts in the main part of the printer" thing a few kits back. Metal is a better material to use. Will the i3 print great prints? Sure it will. Can you build one at home? A *LOT* of people have done so with very little trouble. That design has been around for a lot of years (in printer years ..). My main objection is that you can get a better machine (with very good support) for the same money.

Bob

Student
    I was indeed just looking at this specific one, but I have the following issue - I live in Europe. However, currently I'm in the USA and will be here for another month. The i3 ships in Europe, but MakerFarm doesn't (unless for a handsome fee). The shipping rate for the 12'' Pegasus will be $170 for regular and $190 for Express mail.

I could buy it while I'm here, in the US, but what about parts and support given I'm actually going to use it overseas?

The big question is will the i3 be the better solution for an Europe stationed hobbyist or the 12'' Pegasus will be the smarter choice in the long run?

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

I've used MakerFarm support pretty much 24 hours a day. I have no idea how they do it. Most of what you ask about will be via email. That works from anywhere and costs nothing. Parts wise, all these printers are made from generic "stuff". It's metric nuts, bolts and washers. You actually have a better chance finding a missing nut at the local store in Europe than you do here.

Even *with* the shipping cost, its by far the better printer. Shipping cross country cost me about 2/3 of that for my Pegasus plus another printer. Getting it to Europe for $180 actually does not sound all that bad ....

Bob

Student
    For the sake of the discussion - besides Pegasus what other printer would you recommend?

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

It depends a lot on what you are after. There are a number of kits from China that will save you some money. They also come with a bit more hassle. There are non-kits that run up to the $3K range, if cost is not an issue. This started out with a "can I really build this" question. I'm hesitant to recommend the China kits.The Wanhao seems to have a pretty good following if you go that way. Shipping from the US seems to be an issue, that shifts it over to European sourced kits. That's not an area I have seen a lot of kits from. Sorry about that....If you go into the $2K and up non-kit arena, the question quickly becomes "Forum 2 or something else". It's not quite that simple, but you do have the option of a SLA printer rather than a filament printer. There is not denying they make some nice prints (and expensive !!).

Bob

Student
    Your reply makes me think that alternative to what we have discussed so far is not a viable option, so I'm going to stay away from it.

Currently I'm on MakerFarm's website and I'm looking at the Pegasus. I see Extruder options. I'd like to go for a dual extruder, as it gives more options, but I'm not aware of the difference between "e3d-Lite6 hotend" and "e3d-v6 hotend."

Another question I have is how "susceptible" (for lack of better word from the top of my head) is the Pegasus to hacking and me printing parts for the printer itself?
    1) I don't know what hacking in terms of 3D printers means but I have seen it during my research.
    2) You were perfectly clear that plastic parts are not as reliable as metal parts.

Doc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast