Close

Follow Christopher Mann On Twitter

3d printed self powered leg exoskeleton

Hey,

I am creating self powered exo-frames to amplify human motion. The markets I'm going for are currently sport and recreation. Medical applications are a possibility in the future as well.

Its all very early prototype level material.

http://www.humanquartermile.com/

Printed in multiple parts using pla on a k8200 Velleman. (Low budget, but I got this far.) Parts are then coated in multiple coats of resin for added strength. I was able to do a full power run test the other day and it did not shatter, so more testing with more tension is on its way.

I hope to have access to a proper workshop environment and a printer farm soon to iterate efficiently.

Thanks for looking. Any questions, please ask away!

Engineer-in-Training
    self powered huh.

Where do you intend to capture the energy from? The feet are one thing, everything else is the part where you start needing external power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    self powered huh.

Where do you intend to capture the energy from? The feet are one thing, everything else is the part where you start needing external power.
    Thanks for taking a look!
    Self-powered as in gravity and user-generated momentum powered. Same basic principle as a pogo stick or power risers. The energy return potential is stored in the on-board rebound systems. Self-powered may be the wrong term to use if one reads that as free energy.

wow thats pretty cool! how much did it cost to make that?

Quote Originally Posted by classone View Post
    wow thats pretty cool! how much did it cost to make that?
    Its an ongoing project. At this point not possible to give it a dollar figure, sorry. Lots and lots of hours spent, both on the 3d files and manufacturing. Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so you're saying you capture energy that would otherwise be wasted and return it to boost actual performance.

In other words it's gravity powered.

Interesting concept.

Engineer-in-Training
    I can envision how it works with the feet. I am not sure where the energy is coming from on the legs or anywhere else. I suppose that's why im not involved on the project.

That said, I am surely interested in learning on this.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    so you're saying you capture energy that would otherwise be wasted and return it to boost actual performance.

In other words it's gravity powered.

Interesting concept.
    Thanks! Yes, gravity is the main passive source of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    I can envision how it works with the feet. I am not sure where the energy is coming from on the legs or anywhere else. I suppose that's why im not involved on the project.

That said, I am surely interested in learning on this.
    Hey, thanks for the interest and feedback. I have been doing thought experiments on this topic for over a decade now, so the concepts that may seem very familiar and obvious to me, to someone just looking in now it may not be crystal clear right away. That said, it is still really early overall, so I must be open and flexible to continue improving the project.

From your forum name I assume you do molds? I am currently learning to do molds with 3d printing to cast rubber, silicone and plastics. You can see what I have done so far here;

http://imgur.com/a/DLKSv?

Last edited by Christopher Mann; 07-29-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am a plastic injection molder by trade, I am not a tool maker by any means. I just take the molds they build and try to break them.