Close

Student

What are the software should you use are a beginner in 3d design?

Google sketchup is a free, user-friendly app that helps you to design everything you want in 3D, Moreover, this app also offers free 3D models to download.

Engineer-in-Training
    OpenSCAD is fully parametric, and there are tons of libraries (threads, gears, fill patterns, boxes, etc etc) and designs to download and use or adapt. Importing and adding_to/removing_from existing stl files is also possible. Embossed or recessed text is a cinch. Also projecting stuff and generating dxf files for lasercutting.

Free, open source and runs on all platforms. For windows there is also a portable version.

Search for 'customizable' on thingiverse to get an impression what you can do with it....

Student
    Add Satya on Facebook Add Satya on Shapeways Add Satya on Thingiverse
    Autodesk FUSION 360 is quite easy to understand and use for the beginners or the people from any design environment. Most importantly is has most of what is needed for a good design without having to worry about learning the things specifically for the software instead of learning about the design itself.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    I recommend preparing to work in a professional 3D modeling environment.

If you want to create models or work in an industry related more to solid modeling, I would aim to become a Solidworks or Catia modeler.
    Free step-in environments are 123D Design or Freecad. They work in a similar way as Solidworks though much more limited.

If you're looking to be a Mesh modeler, say in Cinema4D or 3D Studio Max, Blender is a nice free program.

For free sculpting I use Sculptris.

Then there's NURBS modeling such as in Rhino or Alias. Rhino is a very good 3D CAD package with a price affordable to small business owners. They have a free 90-day fully functioning trial.

Student
    Onshape.

Its new, its amazing, and its powerful. You can do basically everything 123d design can do (my second choice for easy software, followed by google sketchup) plus it works like google docs, where more than one person can work on the file at once, live.

Best part, its free, and its alllll browser based. so you can access it on ANY platform, even your phone. and make changes, and coordinate with other artist all live in the document.

Also you can mate objects and assemble them in software to check for fit and function etc. its a must check out.

Google sketchup however is also a great program I highly suggest that everyone has a copy of that on their computer. Really good for dimentional layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by vexmatech View Post
    Commercial 3D softwares:

3DS Max - High-end commercial 3D modeling tool
    Alibre - One of the cheapestCAMprograms.
    AC3D
    AutoCAD
    AutoQ3D
    Cheetah3D
    Cloud9
    FormZ
    Maya
    Magics
    NetFabb
    Rhino3D
    Solidworks
    ZBrush
    Alibre no longer exists. They were bought by 3D Systems and added to the Geomagic Software Suite and are now called Geomagic Design. And they are not cheap. Much has changed since the Alibre days.

AutoCAD is not a 3D program

Many have been left out: Catia, Creo, NX, SolidEdge, Powershape, Moi3D, Top Solid, Solidface, VariCAD, and so on...

For a beginner looking to buy a 3D CAD software that won't break the bank but is plenty powerful I highly recommend Moi3D.