Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New issue - now with video! Y axis skip...

It is a consistent skip that just appeared over night. I have re-seated the pulley, I have changed the tension on the y belt, nothing fixes it. The pulley looks to be in good shape but it is always at the same exact point so I'm thinking that is where the issue lies.

This bump -> skip happens both when printing and when moving the bed by hand.

Is it time to buy another motor? Is it time to get another pulley? Help!

So many problems lately and I'm REALLY behind on what I want printed. This is driving me crazy.

Is there something binding on the idlers or something getting in the way in the extrusion? Does it do it without the belt connected?

Nothing binding - I completely took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together to make sure it wasn't slipping. It doesn't do it with the belt off. I think the motor is fine, I believe somehow the pulley has a bum tooth? Has this ever happened to anyone?

Technologist
    If it doesn't do it with the belt attached then carefully examine the pulley and belt, and replace whichever one has the defect.

I have extra belts - I'll be testing that out tonight. Any idea on a local source for the pulley? Any B&M stores that might carry one?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    As the pulley rotates there seems to be a lump or bump that you can see rotating around the pulley. There's likely something stuck to either the belt or the pulley... I'd start by fixing that.
    Last edited by printbus; 07-22-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: no full screen problem may be on my end

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    The video is limited since it can't go full screen, but as the pulley rotates there seems to be a lump or bump that you can see rotating around the pulley. There's likely something stuck to either the belt or the pulley... I'd start by fixing that.
    I took it completely apart and cleaned them both but found nothing. The motor doesn't wobble without the belt and I can't "see" any defect when they are apart, just when they are working together. It's also at the same point in rotation. So I was with you initially that something got lodged in between the two but I haven't found crap! lol.

Technologist
    You can physically see a bump under the belt at the pulley when the skip happens. A video of the motor performing the same movements, from the same viewpoint, just without the belt in place would be interesting and potentially helpful.

Engineer-in-Training
    Have you checked the set screw? One time I had a set screw that went bad somehow and would not grip onto the stepper motor. So I was getting weird Y axis artifacts.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    Have you checked the set screw? One time I had a set screw that went bad somehow and would not grip onto the stepper motor. So I was getting weird Y axis artifacts.
    That makes sense - under load the loose set screw could allow the pulley to slip across the flat, but without the belt in place and under no load, the pulley would stay in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast