Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinects scanner

Technologist
    My info came originally from the Skannect website, but that was some time ago and I don't have any other evidence. They initially suggested the V2 was not supported and they state "Unfortunately, we have chosen not to support the Kinect for Xbox One (Kinect V2), as during our tests, the resulting 3D scans did not meet our standards for quality."

I cannot scan anything that small with any amount of detail using my V1 scanner with either Skannect or Kscan3D. The minimum scan distance is realistically 3', so anything as small as a 6" figure will have very minimal detail.

I use mine to scan people on the whole, and these look OK, even if facial details are a little over smoothed for my liking!

Staff Engineer
    I suspect it was less about their standards of quality than the fact that Microsoft was providing the scanning software for free. From what I saw on the site https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...lder-resources, it looked like the scans were capturing more detail than the Kinect V1 could.

That said, I had better luck with smaller objects when I built a set of spectacles for the Primesense Carmine (V1) that helped it resolve detail closer-up.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Student
    I am going to follow this thread. The idea of using Kinect to 3d scan is very cool. I have my first 3d printer on order and I am wanting to learn about scanning.

What software do you guys use?

I use Artec Studio trial version with my Kinect 2. For me it more comfortable than KScan.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    The Windows 10 Creators 3D scanner looks promising, better than the 3D captures from Kinect that I have seen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSE-16ceWaU

Staff Engineer
    I think the results you saw were somewhat deceptive. Essentially, what she was doing was capturing a very low-res version of that sandcastle (note the coarseness of that point-cloud) and mapping photographic imagery over it to create the illusion of a fully-detailed part that could be seen from any angle. That's fine if all you need is video, but if you wanted to 3D-print that sand-castle, you'd have very little detail and lots of holes from the shadows and gaps in that scan.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12