Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinects scanner

Kinects scanner

Has anyone been able to successfully use kinects with Kscan3d? I can get it all to work together but the scan process sucks. Or maybe its me. I can get it to see the object , but sometimes it shows a duplicate of the object a couple mm off of the original, then when it scans it complete junk, pictures 1 and 2 below. If I move it out further it shows only 1 picture as it should but then the scan is just as messed up as seen below, picture 3 and 4.
    Any help or advise of another method using kinects would be appreciative .
    Don
    I can not seem to add the pictures, but they can be seen at : http://www.soliforum.com/topic/15186...s-for-windows/
    Last edited by dtwallace; 07-24-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: add images

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    lol pictures stilll no use unless I join the forum (there's another 3d print forum, who knew) it won't let me see them.

I just tried to upload the files again and it just will not show the pictures.

Technologist
    Just downloaded the software and with my Kinnect Scanner, it works fine. I think I still prefer Skannect, but I was able to make a quite reasonable 3D model.

Are you selecting all the scans - 10-12 seems to work well, then hitting combine? I found you need quite a plain background and good lighting to get a consistent scan, but even a few shots of my cat asleep on the sofa seemed to work!

Engineer-in-Training
    I am going to have to spend the $50 on the adapter for my kinect.

Seems like an area I could make a few dollars in with friends. I bet I know a few people that would love a family statue done. Charge em $40 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by noiseboy72 View Post
    Just downloaded the software and with my Kinnect Scanner, it works fine. I think I still prefer Skannect, but I was able to make a quite reasonable 3D model.

Are you selecting all the scans - 10-12 seems to work well, then hitting combine? I found you need quite a plain background and good lighting to get a consistent scan, but even a few shots of my cat asleep on the sofa seemed to work!
    I have tried what you are talking about, but does it matter how close I am. I am trying to do small items that need to be closer, but they do not work. If I am farther away it picks up well but not very detailed.
    Thanks for your response.

I also think it might be worth mentioning that I am using the Kinects V2 from the xbox 1 and the windows adapter. Skanect says they do not support this Kinect.

Technologist
    I understand the v2 is lower resolution, but tell me what you are trying to scan and i will try it with my v1 scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by noiseboy72 View Post
    I understand the v2 is lower resolution, but tell me what you are trying to scan and i will try it with my v1 scanner.
    Any figure that is about 6 inches tall. I was using a Scooby Doo figure. I find that weird you say the V2 is lower resolution as what I have been reading on sites like Skanect, they said it just has a different lighting configuration and they cant get their software to work wit it until a new SDK comes out. But who knows..... maybe it is just a better resolution on the V1.
    Thanks for trying the scan with a V1, are you using Ksacn3d or another software?

Staff Engineer
    From what I saw pictured, it seemed that the Kinect V2 got better resolution, at least on smallish objects. What makes you say it's worse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast