Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Im looking to buy a large 3d printer with large print area

Im looking right now at the Beast from Cultivate 3d. Anyone using one out there? Its price seems to be good and built pretty heavy looks like.
    Its hard to find a large printer under $2000. Maybe there are others I don't know about????

Engineer-in-Training
    Never heard of it. I am impressed for sub $2k build it yourself price. In the future I may invest in one like that, as I would like to be able to print custom motorcycle parts.

Technician
    Its interesting too that they can print four identical objects at same time with 4 print heads to speed things up. I like that feature. I have my money saved and going to buy soon.
    Last edited by spaceman; 07-20-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    Its interesting too that they can print four identical objects at same time with 4 print heads to speed things up. I like that feature.
    It sounds like an amazing feature to print four things at once. However people can have issues getting dual print heads at the same height. I cant imagine having to keep 4 print heads dialed in to within .05mm of each other. If i were to buy this printer (and it looks compelling) id put a laser on one, a router bit on another, and something else on the third.

Technician
    Yes your idea would be cool.

Engineer-in-Training
    Hyrel makes one that also supports 4 extruders, costs a bit more ($4 or 5k, I forget which, ask them), and seems pretty easy to level. Not nearly as large as the "Beast" though, at around 200mm^3.

If you are looking for something more professional that is. They are also supposedly making a larger model.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    they want $1500 to build it for you !
    lol that's got to be one bastard of a build.

But at the kit price, I don't think you'll find much to beat the print volume.

Just bear in mind it's a bowden setup - so if you were planning on doing much with flexible filaments, bear in mind that will be difficult. Not impossible but you'll need the stiffer filaments like polyflex and semi-flex, rather than the rubbery ones like ninja flex and filaflex.

Particularly when you consider the print height, it's got to push that filament a bloody long way and anything with flex is going to really struggle.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Dang, beat me to it. Thanks!

Technician

Beast

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    they want $1500 to build it for you !
    lol that's got to be one bastard of a build.

But at the kit price, I don't think you'll find much to beat the print volume.

Just bear in mind it's a bowden setup - so if you were planning on doing much with flexible filaments, bear in mind that will be difficult. Not impossible but you'll need the stiffer filaments like polyflex and semi-flex, rather than the rubbery ones like ninja flex and filaflex.

Particularly when you consider the print height, it's got to push that filament a bloody long way and anything with flex is going to really struggle.

Yes I don't need the rubber type of filament.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Hyrel makes one that also supports 4 extruders, costs a bit more ($4 or 5k, I forget which, ask them), and seems pretty easy to level. Not nearly as large as the "Beast" though, at around 200mm^3.

If you are looking for something more professional that is. They are also supposedly making a larger model.
    I like all the different nozzles they can put on that printer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast