Close

z axis radomly changing directions

hello all.

I've been searching around the web for an answer to a problem I have but I am not exactly sure if I am asking the right questions.

I have a fabricator mini. I really like it and its been an amazing little machine other than a couple of jams. My problem is that I am now having issues with my Z axis. The z axis will randomly change directions or even stall out. I thought maybe it was the wires or the motor but when I switch connectors with the x axis , it behaves the same way. I've tried reinstalling the software but no improvement.

I am currently thinking it needs a new board but was hoping that maybe someone here had an idea or even a direction I should be looking next to fix it.

thanks

Senior Engineer
    It probably needs cleaning and greasing. Slow down the print speed, really slow and see if it behaves properly. If it does then a good clean and grease should sort it out.
    Or just give it a good clean and grease anyway, it probably deserves one.
    Last edited by Mjolinor; 07-09-2016 at 11:55 PM.

thanks. quickly tried that and still the same. don't think its the motor though. when I switch connectors with another axis it has the same problem.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by winegummo View Post
    thanks. quickly tried that and still the same. don't think its the motor though. when I switch connectors with another axis it has the same problem.
    If when switching connectors, the problem stays with the motor ... troubleshoot the motor. If it stays with the driver ... troubleshoot the driver. If it's following the electronics, then you may have a loose connector or a blown driver chip. Check the connectors first. Power supply could also be a problem, but the issue is only on one axis.

thanks uncle bob.. i suspect a blown driver or broken connection on the board. I figured i should ask around a bit before ordering a new board in case there was a commonly known issue that only needs a software edit or something of the likes.