Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HP To Make Major 3D Printing Announcement in June

Well, we have all been waiting on something from Hewlett-Packard about their 3D printing plans. According to CEO Meg Whitman, they will have a "Big" 3d printing announcement sometime in June:

http://3dprint.com/1692/hewlett-pack...ement-in-june/

HP could really take a sizable chunk of the 3D printing market, but they need to hurry their ideas to market. Whitman stated that she feels the company has overcome many of the issues which may be holding the market back from large scale adoption.

What will the announcement be? Any opinions?

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I can't wait to see what this announcement will be. Should be pretty exciting. I'm sure MakerBot and 3D Systems are at least a little bit worried.
    Eddie

Student
    Take the way-back machine to 1980 and consider what the introduction of the PC did to the emerging industry during the following 10 years...

Both good and bad things came out of that, history repeats itself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    So, let me see if I got this right: I just read a post that summed up an article that explained that someone else has declared that they are going to make an announcement later on.

Excitement level: meh

There's plenty of room in the 3D Printer market, and different sectors have different needs - just like the market for traditional printer/copiers.

/shrug
    Last edited by Davo; 03-20-2014 at 08:03 AM.

I thought I would update this thread. HP has taken back their statement about making a 3d printing announcement sometime in June of this year. Instead the announcement will come by the end of the fiscal year, which is October. Mark Finks comments have been updated on the HP website:
    http://www8.hp.com/hpnext/posts/qa-m...g#.UzDEAoU4fB9

The following statement was also released:

"During our Annual Meeting of Stockholders on March 19, HP answered a shareholder question about our 3-D printing program and inadvertently stated that we would be making a technology announcement in June, when in fact we are planning to make that announcement by the end of our fiscal year,"

Super Moderator
    Des anyone else find meta-announcements really annoying?

So no more announcement in June. I know HP has a big event in June, where I believe Meg Whitman will give a keynote. I wonder if maybe they are just taking it back so that they can surprise everyone. I still don't think they will be releasing any consumer based printers. More likely targeting industry and business via 3d printing outsourcing. I think we will see HP 3D printers in staples, Fedex, Kinkos, etc

Still no announcement. I would expect something coming within the next month or two. Discussing this quarter's earnings report HP CEO Meg Whitman was quoted as saying the following:
    “We are doing it all organically because it has a lot of shared technology with our clear toner business. So, we’ll do it organically. As I said, this fall we will announce the technology and you will see that begin to kick in for HP […],”

Staff Engineer
    So, by organically, does she mean the pace at which grass grows, or the pace at which vertebrates evolve?

I mean, I'm not terribly interested in watching this, but if I was, I'd be pretty bored by now.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    So, by organically, does she mean the pace at which grass grows, or the pace at which vertebrates evolve?

I mean, I'm not terribly interested in watching this, but if I was, I'd be pretty bored by now.
    We can grow our own filament perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast