Close

What is your biggest complaint about 3D Printing?

Let's hear your biggest complaints about 3D Printing. Here are mine:

- Way to slow to really prototype my designs, or make anything quickly.
    - Quality is still lacking in most at home printers
    - We need more material options for at home printers.

Technician
    Too many people jumping in trying to make a quick buck.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Too many people jumping in trying to make a quick buck.
    Ultimately this is a good thing though from a consumer's point of view. It drives down prices and increases innovation. The more the merrier in my opinion. Just means we will get cheap metal 3d printers sooner rather than later.

My biggest complaint is that I love the technology, but the people I know in my daily life do not have the slightest clue about how a 3d printer works or where the future is headed.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I agree with crowbar but that's the nature of our free economy. The "early bird gets the worm" and frequently, by the time many of us even hear about a technology, the field is covered with birds...

My biggest complaints are really not complaints as much as they are a wish or anticipation.

1. Print speeds are challenging. Four, eight, fifteen hour print times are not uncommon. If we can continue to refine the technology and cut that by 75% it will help significantly.
    2. I haven't see great techniques yet to stop a print and insert nuts, wires, structural components, etc. That will take some thinking, experimentation and some coding work to make it simple. I've see people doing it but it seems to be very tedious to do it with precision, at least on the level most of us RepRapers work at.
    3. Having to "stick" to a bed is problematic. If we can find a new way to hold a part without having to have a big flat surface for sticking it, it would be fantastic. We always have to modify designs because we need that flat side. Not sure what the solution is yet, but to me it's not necessarily a problem but a limitation.

Rob
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com