Close

Best locations to learn about 3D printing?

Iam relatively new to 3D printing and would like to know if there are any cool locations providing basic to advanced personal mentoring on 3D printing. Maybe apart from companies providing introductions to their products. Also this is not about books and online resources (i know there are a lot and iam using them already), it's about doing some guided hands-on crafting, understanding different printer construction setups, printing parameters, utilization of different software etc. So basically the question here would be: If you have not learned it on your own, where did you learn it? Can be world-wide, but i'd prefer europe

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if you're in the uk I'll happily give lessons :-)

If you live in a city then look for a maker club or centre.

How much time it will take to learn the basics to advanced mentoring? @ curious aardvark
    A friend of mine wants to learn about 3d printing.

Student
    YoutubeYoutubeYoutubeYoutubeYoutubeYoutubeYoutube

lol from a proud graduate of Youtube U

Student
    Follow Stwert On Twitter Add Stwert on Facebook
    You're probably in one of the best places to learn right now. Most of us here are happy to offer advice for any aspect of printing.

It might not be hands on, but basically everything can be covered over the course of a few lengthy PM's

Where are you located?

Hello I hope this is the right spot for this. I am very new to the 3D printing thing, as to say I have never done it. I have read tones of stuff but everything is contradictory. I want to build a very large scale printer, minimum 3'x3' printable area. I need help and I can' find anything, anything would be helpful, even a that's impossible. So help me out guys, where do I start?

Cool

Read this on the news:

Australia’s University of Southern Queensland (USQ) has announced an exciting new addition to its archeology curriculum. With the help of Ellipsis Media, the university’s Print Services business unit, archeology students at USQ can now work with 3D replica specimens like never before. The specimens are produced with the 3D Systems Projet 660Pro printer, the Artec Eva, Structure Sensor and NextEngine Ultra HD laser scanners.
    So there, Australia!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jroettger1975 View Post
    Hello I hope this is the right spot for this. I am very new to the 3D printing thing, as to say I have never done it. I have read tones of stuff but everything is contradictory. I want to build a very large scale printer, minimum 3'x3' printable area. I need help and I can' find anything, anything would be helpful, even a that's impossible. So help me out guys, where do I start?
    well to start with, stop thinking in imperial measurements and start thinking in metric.

Second - buy a printer.
    third - print stuff. :-)

fourth - then start asking questions as you'll have a better idea what to ask.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    Plus ask yourself, what is your plan?
    Is your goal to learn to 3d print end use items? Are you going to use it as a prototyping tool for you as a designer or artist?
    For personal use, hobbies, do you want to use it for a community?
    For introductory courses and hands-on experience check out local fablabs and universities. Even some libraries have 3D printers nowadays. And there are 3D printer rental services.

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    @CuriousAardvark is right. The best way that you are going to learn is to get yourself a 3d printer and to start printing things. If you buy a printer that is able to use different filament materials then there is scope for you to stretch your learning experience as yo will have to find optimum printer settings for the different materials.

There is really going to be no substitute for printing yourself.