Close

12-Year-Old Starts Own GoFundMe for a 3D Printer, Soooo Close to Goal

Twelve-year-old Rowan Pritchard has decided to spend his summer vacation in a very different way than most of his peers - he plans to use his time off to start his own business. Three years ago, Pritchard's uncle took him to a Maker Faire, where he learned about 3D printing, which quickly became his new obsession. When he asked his parents for his own printer, they suggested he start a GoFundMe to raise the money to purchase his own. Two months after launching his campaign, Pritchard is less than $1,000 from his goal and plans to start his own printing business as soon as he reaches it. He also plans to teach a course in 3D printing to other local kids. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/140013/twelve-year-old-3d-printing/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm, begging for money, is that really the best way to learn how to start a business. ?
    Personally I think his parents would have been better off buying him a cheap printer and then letting him discover for himself just how little money there is in the 'printer for hire' market.

Oh well, good luck to the kid :-)

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Hmm, begging for money, is that really the best way to learn how to start a business. ?
    Rofl. Thats how most business are started. Usually begging for money from a bank or venture group though. Begging is begging

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Rofl. Thats how most business are started. Usually begging for money from a bank or venture group though. Begging is begging
    Pretty much this exactly. Plus, he's working his age. An adult would be laughed at, an enterprising kid garners all kinds of "awws" from people.

My foreman's kid is the same way. Manages to make a ton of money mowing lawns every year, and also manages to spend almost none of it because he keeps talking his dad into paying for fuel and repairs.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-fessional Molder View Post
    Pretty much this exactly. Plus, he's working his age. An adult would be laughed at, an enterprising kid garners all kinds of "awws" from people.

My foreman's kid is the same way. Manages to make a ton of money mowing lawns every year, and also manages to spend almost none of it because he keeps talking his dad into paying for fuel and repairs.
    Hehe. I would say smart kid, dumb dad.

When my granddaughters started their Lemonade stand several years ago, I took them shopping for the ingredients. I made them price it out. Then work out how much each cup costs. And I took a cut from each cup sold until they paid for the initial ingredients (I cut them some slack on property location and rental ). Then I taught them to save the profits from the next cups to pay for supplies to make the next batch so they didn't have to keep coming back to the bank (me) and asking for a loan. Thats how business works. Unfortunately, the "Gimme Generation" doesn't get that.

Did I mention the two of them were 6 and 8 when they learned that lesson?

She is now 12 (the 8y) and is earning money for her 8th grade class trip by selling candy bars. Only this time she gets how it works and saved to buy the next box without having to be told to do so. God its nice when you actually see a life lesson put into practice.