Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Colorfabb Woodfill review

So won a nice big roll of colorfabb's woodfill from idig3dprinting.co.uk

Currently testing it out.

The only other filament I've tried with actual wood content was Laywood.

Laywood is good in that you get different colours at different extrusion temps.
    But it's bad in that it clogs your nozzles and is just way too fragile. Has a tendency to break at random points during a print.
    I never actually managed to complete a print with laywood.

Woodfill on the other hand, appears to be totally different. The printed part does look like wood. A sort of a cross between mdf and balsa wood.

Loads fine, extrudes fine. first decent sized print I've done is a mini coffee table: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1554594
    Did the small one at 50% original size.

So far I've printed at 205 - sheet says 190 - 210.
    Had a fair bit of stringing on the woodfill table, so probably need to print a little cooler and add some extra retraction.

Okay first thing I printed was 4 trolley tokens, quick and useful, I give a lot away so is a good tester for new filaments.

Sanded the one on the left.

Woodfill mini coffee table - just a tad stringing ;-)

Few minutes with a file and sanding block removed the strings and bits. I also discovered that this stuff is pretty fragile, snapped a leg off. Glued it back and now I have no idea which leg snapped. Glues really well :-)

Next to the one I made in reprapper tech wood coloured pla - that's as it printed, no need for postprocessing.

Unfortunately at this size, the pattern on top of the tables is only 1 layer thick, too small to bridge, just fills in.

Layer marks sand off quickly and easily

Woodfill Sticks really well to the printbite - but doesn't let go easily. Had to gently pry it off.
    Nowhere near as bad as the flexifill. The tokens came off with a gentle tap.
    So I'd say this stuff is printbite friendlly.

Once I've messed a bit with settings and got the stringing under control, this should be good stuff to print with.

Thumbs up :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-25-2016 at 11:10 AM.