Close

Makerbot Replicator 2X Print Fail {USING NO RAFT}

Hi, I have a Makerbot 2X 3D Printer and i use ABS for my filament. When i tried to build something WITHOUT a raft it messes up and Doesnt work. I Will insert a Video on the problem.
    Additional Information: If this helps at all i am using ABS Luminisant Filament, maybe i have to do something with the filament because it is Luminisant, i don't know i was just saying. And the reason i am not using rafts is because it melts onto the build and i cant take off the Raft.
    Here is the Video: https://youtu.be/nc8LhhH7BAA
    Hope you can help me, Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well all the video shows me is that you extrude the biggest bead I've ever seen to start the print.

And this tells me that your calibration is really off. My strip along the front of the bed is a very thin flat piece of filament that is barely visible.

To print abs on kapton (what it looks like) in an unenclosed printer you need the calibration to be very very tight. Probably just shy of blocking the nozzle.
    It's got to stick like chewing gum to a kids hair.
    And to do that you have to sort of smush it onto the bed.

You also need to print the first layer SLOWLY. 10% or less of the actual main print speed.

You also need to add a cooling duct. This stops the raft sticking too bad to the print. When i was still using abs I always used a raft and makerware desktop as slicer. The rafts work really well - but you need cooling for abs as much as for pla - on a replicator anyway.

Given the sheer massiveness of that bead - I'd say you probably need to look at your extrusion width and percentage as well. No way should it be anywhere near close to that size.

How would I tighten the calibration? Also When Im looking at my Makerware Settings to Change the First Layer 10% Slower, I don't know the actual Print Speed cause it doesn't say it anywhere, It says Bridges. First Layer, First Layer Raft, Floor Surface Fills,Infills, Insets, Outlines, Raft, Raft Base, Floor Surface fills and Sparse Roof Surface Fills. I don't know which one is the Main Build Speed