Close

Pegasus Z-coupler

Has anyone used z-couplers on their 12" pegasus? I have clearance issues with the lower x-axis extrusion when I trying to use them on the Z rods. I am having issues with the rods slipping with the stock plastic tubing, but I can't see how I can use the z-couplers without doing major modifications to the printer.

I actually thought of using couplers instead of the tubing, just because vinyl tubing looked inappropriate for the job, but it's been fine for me so far.
    If I may suggest to use these: http://tinyurl.com/hcu59py
    Don't have to be from the same seller but a 5mm to 5mm should do the trick.
    I'm not sure where you would need to modify anything.
    It should be a plug and play type of situation.
    what's causing the Z rod to slip?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    OVersliders - I don't have a Pegasus, but the issue has been raised before. Apparently the Pegasus doesn't have the clearance for that type of coupler. No alternative was identified in the earlier thread.

The plastic tubing couplers tend to lose their grip with use, especially when warm temperatures start softening the tubing.
    Last edited by printbus; 06-21-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added link to earlier thread

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I don't know whether the MakerFarm build guides mention it, but adding zip ties around the tubing usually helps minimize slipping. Use two zip ties over the motor shaft and two zip ties over the threaded rods if you can. Tighten them as tight as you can - perhaps pulling the free end with a pliers before snipping it off.

Engineer-in-Training
    I am using a coupler on my Pegasus successfully.

I used longer bed springs and longer M3 bouts for the bed and raised the bed the 3-5mm needed to allow the use of couplers.

I am at work currently but I can provide pictures later if you would like?

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I don't know whether the MakerFarm build guides mention it, but adding zip ties around the tubing usually helps minimize slipping. Use two zip ties over the motor shaft and two zip ties over the threaded rods if you can. Tighten them as tight as you can - perhaps pulling the free end with a pliers before snipping it off.
    I tried doing that, but even with small zip ties, the head of the zip tie conflicts with the X extrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I am using a coupler on my Pegasus successfully.

I used longer bed springs and longer M3 bouts for the bed and raised the bed the 3-5mm needed to allow the use of couplers.

I am at work currently but I can provide pictures later if you would like?
    That sounds like the perfect solution. I will probably use that idea, but with the stock springs and a spacer (and longer M3 bolts)

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal24 View Post
    That sounds like the perfect solution. I will probably use that idea, but with the stock springs and a spacer (and longer M3 bolts)
    I had like 3-4 other solutions but they required a lot of work, so I decided on this method.

I also though about using spacers under the springs, but I thought the springs may kick the spacers out during a print and unlevel the bed. I found the longer springs at a Ace Hardware and paid about $2.00 for a full set of springs.