Close

Need help in resizing an STL

HI,
    I need some assistance in resizing an existing STL. It is a representation of percussion instrument - a triangle. I would like to reduce the size of each of it's sides to about 120mm and increase the diameter of the round to 14mm. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also having trouble uploading the stl file
    Last edited by BCarv; 06-11-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Still unable to upload the relevant stl file. Have tried using Chrome and Safari

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well from my point of view it would actually be quicker to just create a new parametric design in openscad then bugger about with the stl file.

However, what you probably want to try is Meshlab.

Or you could simply load the stl file into a slicer - pretty much any slicer and just resize and then export as new stl file. probably take about 2 minutes.
    Umm, so lets actually make that option number 1: load into cura (easiest to use that's free) resize - keep it proportional and it'll reduce the length and diameter automatically, export resized file and you have your resized stl file.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well from my point of view it would actually be quicker to just create a new parametric design in openscad then bugger about with the stl file.

However, what you probably want to try is Meshlab.

Or you could simply load the stl file into a slicer - pretty much any slicer and just resize and then export as new stl file. probably take about 2 minutes.
    Umm, so lets actually make that option number 1: load into cura (easiest to use that's free) resize - keep it proportional and it'll reduce the length and diameter automatically, export resized file and you have your resized stl file.

Thanks for the tips. I have experimented with both Cura and Meshmixer but have been unable to achieve the results I am looking for. I am a musician and have recently purchased an UP 2d Plus printer for a few projects. I am of course an absolute novice at using any CAD software. If I were to send you the stl file could / would you be prepared to help me out? curious aardvark? I can private message you and we can discuss the project. Cheers, BC

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by BCarv View Post
    HI,
    I need some assistance in resizing an existing STL. It is a representation of percussion instrument - a triangle. I would like to reduce the size of each of it's sides to about 120mm and increase the diameter of the round to 14mm. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also having trouble uploading the stl file
    This will require either, 1). the redrawing of the model in CAD software or 2). the import of the model into CAD software and then rejigging. 1) as Curious Aardvark suggests is probably the easiest as it is a triangle which is presumably a simply model. Re-scaling it in the slicer software will not work as you want to change the relative size of dimensions to one another.

You will need to draw a path, representing the triangle and then draw the circle of the correct diameter and then extrude the circle along the path that you have drawn, it's called sweeping we believe.

rescaling in slicer is easy. you basically need to reorient for each axis resize. but it's surprisng what you can get done.

yep send me the file and I'll have a play. either resize or just write a parametric script for it so you can have any size you like.

Thanks for the tips. I have experimented with both Cura and Meshmixer but have been unable to achieve the results I am looking for. I am a musician and have recently purchased an UP 2d Plus printer for a few projects. I am of course an absolute novice at using any CAD software. If I were to send you the stl file could / would you be prepared to help me out? curious aardvark? I can private message you and we can discuss the project. Cheers, BC
    Trying to send curious aardavark a PM but inbox in full apparently.

Curious Aadvark - your private message folder appears to be full. I am sorry that I am completely ignorant about these things! I may be able to compensate for your time and effort.
    Basically I would like a triangle that I can print on my 3d printer that is approximately 100mm each side (taking into account the gap) and has a diameter of 12mm.
    Cheers, BC

Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    Curious Aadvark - your private message folder appears to be full. I am sorry that I am completely ignorant about these things! I may be able to compensate for your time and effort.
    Basically I would like a triangle that I can print on my 3d printer that is approximately 100mm each side (taking into account the gap) and has a diameter of 12mm.
    Cheers, BC
    Was this what you had in mind?

Hold it, picture upload does not seem to be working.

oops - cleared folder, working again now, sorry :-)

So, we managed to create a triangle with the specifications given in Freecad, using the method we described earlier. We are in the process of printing it out. We will post the results on the page linked before. So if anybody wants the STL file for a triangle please follow the link.

We have also described the process that we used to create the Triangle so it also serves as a little tutorial on "Sweeping" or extruding along a path in Freecad.