Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

Diy laser cutter/engraver/scorcher

So I've pretty much figured out how produce a profile to con simplify 3d into using a bolt on laser as an engraver/leather scorcher.
    Got fed up waitig for some other bugger to produce a clip on laser engraver kit and decided to develop my own.

I can design and make attachment clips and run power from somewhere (got both mains and pc psu next to printer, still gota couple 24v connectors on the printer board as well).
    I've figured out the how to line the thing up and calibrate and let s3d think it's printing a single layer plastic design and produce the design in the first place.

And that's where my current knowlege ends.

To burn a design into either wood or leather, what sort of laser do I need.
    How many miliamps, and is a specific colour best for torching organic material.
    If necessary I can add cooling to the bracket, I know the laser pen I had a few years back got bloody hot and could melt black plastic bags and pop balloons. But after about 10 minutes, the light got a bit 'wobbly' and you had to let it cool down.

Speed is not an issue. ie: a lower power laser that stays cool longer is just as viable as a more powerful one that heats up faster. You just adjust the how fast it moves and that's infinitely adjustable.
    So really whichever one will run longer and is more cost effective is what I'm looking for.

A mate borrowed my pointer - and never gave it back so i can't use it as a test.

If I can get this working I can put together a kit :-)
    Hell maybe even 'launch' on kickstarter.
    God knows I need the money.

But what i know about lasers you can write on the back of one of my little gears in thick marker pen :-)
    That goes double for my knowlege of electronics. Which is why I've worked out how to do it long hand. The laser just needs on/off control. The rest will be done through the slicer.

So laser heads - what do I need.
    And where do i get it (presumably china).

Don't suppose I can use the lasers in cd/dvdrw drives ? Got a few of them lying around that are pretty much just scrap these days..
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-14-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Senior Engineer
    You don't just need on off. You have to be able to control the power normally with an on/off signal but very fast (PWM). Theprinter hardware will normally support PWM on the outputs. You also need to think about whether or not you want to do raster and vector cutting or jsut vector. Without raster you cannot engrave a picture very well.

So what sort of laser do i need. The rest isn't a problem

Senior Engineer
    Well I think you should buy a laser module rather than just a laser diode so you are able to focus it and lenses are included.

The power you need is probably around 300 mw minimum and maybe 1 watt maximum, visible frequencies.
    I would go with one that has a built in heat sink and maybe even a built in fan, it sepends how much you want to spend and how long you want to continuously run it.

The diode itself will need about 2 to 4 volts to operate but if you use a module the supply will be 5 or 12 volts as it will have its own internal current regulation, that is much much easier.

If you are desperate to have a play then I have a few of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-300mW...UAAOSw3mpXNUkY

I can courier one to you if you want provided oyu don't blow it up and oyu send it back when you finished playing.

So that's an entire machine that will do more or less what i want for £60 ?

Do they make them with larger print areas and higher resolutions ?

And, more importantly will it work on leather ?

Certainly something to think about.

Love to borrow one, let me know postage and i'll paypal it to you :-)

Found a 500mw one, bit bigger higher resolution, still £60!

Given thst i can probably charge £30 plus for custom engraved leather slings, thats a bloody good buy.
    Guess thats why nobody's done a kit for 3d printers.
    Cheaper to just buy a dedicated burner !

what do you reckon to this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500mW-DIY-...AAAOSwy5ZXBywG
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-15-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Senior Engineer
    I have 500 mw and 300 mw and the difference is in the Chinese generous specification syndrome.

They are just CDROM mechanisms with a small control board and that is why they are so cheap, there are millions of new CDROMs in China as the technology moved so fast when it went from single speed cdrom through multispeed DVD and blue ray. Someone found a use for them so they rip them apart and make these machines. PM me your address and I'll send you one to try.

well just put in £50 offer for the one in the link.
    Got to be worth a try. failing that I'm happy with £60.

Got a few cd and dvd roms lying around.
    Didn't realise the lasers were that strong.

Anything else you can do with them ?

So can you use it on 3d printed stuff ?
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-15-2016 at 05:34 AM.

Senior Engineer
    They don't use the lasers, just the mechanisms.

They don't even bother removing the dvd lasers and mirrors on some of them, they are just still mounted to the back.

I would try it before you buy one, they are not that strong and may struggle with leather.

Do not believe what hte auctions say they will do.

you're not saying the chinese would lie to me ?
    I'm shocked.

Well if they reject the £50 I'll borrow one of yours :-)
    I'm pretty good at jiggering things to work properly. Never really expect anything to work out of the box :-)

But one way or another - now I know about these I want one :-)
    And I can definitely make money out of it. Which is getting kind of essential at the moment.

I actually made more money selling slings last week than in any actual jobs.

Quick bit of leather burning and I'm looking at a £10 sling becoming a £30 sling.
    Got to be worth a go.