Close

Student

Why is my print skewed?

I have a Prusa I3 M201 front Geeetech.

This is supposed to be the first 35 layers of a box with straight sides, but as you can see the box is skewed. Can anyone tell me what caused this. It is leaning in the X direction. I have printed other boxes that were perfectly sized and shaped. This was printed with pla at 225 on a cold glass plate.

The printer was a kit and is new. This is only the 3rd or 4th print I've tried. The feed mech was tricky was get working.

angle.jpg

side.jpg
    Last edited by DennisH.; 05-05-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Looks to me like something is likely slipping in the x axis. I'm not familiar with Geeetechs, but look for a loose pulley on the x-motor, a belt with too much play in it that skips over pulley teeth, etc.

Senior Engineer
    it could be that one of your motors is not as good in one direction as it is in the other, They are actually all like that but the more you pay the less the difference and generally as these motors are as cheap as they come it is a likely candidate. It may be worth just slowing everything down, printing moves and travel moves and noting the effect on the print.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    it could be that one of your motors is not as good in one direction as it is in the other, They are actually all like that but the more you pay the less the difference and generally as these motors are as cheap as they come it is a likely candidate. It may be worth just slowing everything down, printing moves and travel moves and noting the effect on the print.
    I think you are probably close to correct. The belt is tight and is not slipping. I was printing on a sheet of 1/4" glass and I think it's too heavy. When it prints fill it tries to move too fast and the motor probably skips a beat at first. I'm getting a sheet of 1/8 glass and slowing the printing of fill to see if that fixes it.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    You have a Prusa i3 that moves the print bed in the x direction?

EDIT: I ask this since the original post says the print is leaning in the X direction. If the bed is a typical Prusa i3 that moves in the Y direction, weight etc of the print bed has nothing to do with the problem.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-10-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Student
    Nope, you're right. I mixed up my directions. It was the y direction.

Engineer-in-Training
    You should reduce the acceleration for the Y axis to solve the problem rather than changing the speed. Of course you could do both but skipping steps have more to do with the motor being incapable of accelerating the load fast enough rather than the top speed it can reach.

Student
    Thanks, I'll try that. I printed another cube with the lower speed and this one came out very well.

There are a lot of parameters and each one has a function and some have side effects.