Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Recommendations for a simple non-contact Z-Axis probe

I'm looking for a simple, accurate and preferably low cost inductive probe that can plug into a RAMPS board. Does anybody have a good experience to relate? I'm hoping it won't require any extra electronics and be able to work mounted a 1mm or 2mm higher than the nozzle. It would be really nice if I could just order it off of eBay. It would be helpful if you can quote your M48 repeat-ability numbers too!

Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Thanks!

The sensor, i am actually working on ordering myself. Its going to have to be one thats 12mm for me since it will sense as far away as 4mm and i have a glass bed with aluminum under it ontop of a heated bed.

UNLESS you use a capacitive sensor that senses anything, not just metal.

I ordered 2 of the LJC18A3-B-Z / AY sensors off of ebay. They are adjustable coarsely on the mounting and iirc there is a fine tune screw on the top of the sensor.

I will report back in a few weeks when it gets here from China

I looked at the sn04 inductive probe that somebody (over on RepRap.org I think) recommended. It is on eBay at a good price. But I didn't order it because it required 10v to 12v. Giving it power isn't the problem, but I was worried I would need level converter logic so I didn't fry the Arduino processor. I also started to get concerned that I really don't want inductive anyway. Capacitive might see the glass better. (And as a result of that realization, I changed the title on this thread too!)

I wonder how good the 'Repeatability' is on this sensor? Please come back after you get it working (of if you don't get it working!!!) and give us M48 numbers!

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I looked ........ and give us M48 numbers!

THANKS!

The exact sensor I ordered. As for making it safe for th earduino to be able to use, a voltage divider with 10k and 15k resistors. Toms Guides has an example.

Can you provide links to everything you found? That would help others! And when you get it connected and working, please post pictures and the results of M48.

Get the mini differential ir sensor. http://www.filastruder.com/collectio...-height-sensor

It works great on my printer with a MIC-6 AL plate for the bed using purple glue stick to get the abs & pla to stick.

That looks interesting! I wish it was a little bit cheaper.

Sensor is here, resistors are wired, 15k and 10k as denoted on many videos, Brown is wired to the 12v power and the resistors are a voltage divider. The black and blue wires are wired accordingly, using the enstop plug on the Ramps 1.4 where its supposed to be. The snesor trips when it senses the bed however, the Z axis does not stop. I tried inverting the enstop info in Marlin but, still doesnt seem to see the endstop being triggered.

I finally got it working. Black wire from probe goes to the first pin on the plug. Now, i need to find out how to disable the probe after leveling...... Other wise, the print will not start at the desired height.

Perhaps Roxy you could assist with that?

Decided to just adjust the sensor to where zero is right where the print height starts.
    Last edited by Roxy; 06-01-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast