Close

Looking to acquire printer for a school

I need to acquire a 3D printer for a university metalsmithing program. Any input on what machines might suit my needs would be greatly appreciated. To start out, the budget is $500, this does not have to include the cost of shipping. We only need one extruder, the primary use would be for casting in bronze and silver, although I'm sure at some point it will be used for stand alone pieces. I have had good results casting PLA, and would like to continue with that medium. Our lab has both a Mac and a PC to choose from to run the software. Additionally, do any of companies that make or sell printers offer academic discounts? Thank you for any insight you might shed
    Last edited by vancitysage; 04-30-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    wanhao duplicator i3
    http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame

in the price range, pretty much unbeatable.

No idea on discounts - but at $400, how sad do you need to be to want a discount ?

Pretty sure if you're buying one of the more expensive machines you could probably get a discount. But at the price the duplicator i3's retail at - it's highly unlikely :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-01-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    If build volume isn't important the $399 printrbot play would be a good choice for a school setting.

Attached Images Attached Images