Close

Student

PLA settings for 8" i3 with .35 j-head

ok so im having issues with finding the "sweet spot" for PLA on my printer.... right now 183 for the print head and 65 for the bed is ok, but it seems to me that i may still be doing something wrong... there are several print that come out good but others im just not sure why they turn out the way they do... for example the print will look great till about 1 cm up then all of a sudden the bead starts to roll off a bit and get stringy... will a fan maybe help this? am i not giving the layers enough time to cool?
    Last edited by st5k; 03-08-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: oops i meant PLA

Try to up your heat ABS needs 225+

Student
    225+? wow isn't that kinda up there? i thought abs was supposed to be at a lower temp. ill try it but i kinda thought my prints were just too hot....

Student
    oh wow i just realized what i did... i meant PLA.... idk why i had ABS in my head

Technologist
    I've read that some folks use a heated bed for PLA but I've always had good luck with blue painter's tape, no heat and a fan pointed at the hot end tip on full speed.

Student
    im using aquanet on the heated bed and have no issues with the print sticking. i have a fan now, it seems to help a bit. but i havent retried the not so great prints with the fan. i was hoping someone had found the "perfect" PLA settings for this same setup... i see some amazing prints on thingiverse, but am slightly disappointed at my prints. though i do believe that minor settings tweaks is the issue not the printer itself.