Close

Technician

Is there a way to print only specific layers?

Having a bit of trouble with figuring out my attempted tweak. I know it's not possible to "crop" a 3D model in the traditional sense, so what I'm trying to do is simply print only the layers I want. In my brain anyway, it should be fairly simple. Here's the model:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:239792

I basically just want to print the top section. I mocked it up in my software, and it would come out to around 650 layers using my settings. Is there a tweak in the gcode or elsewhere to where I could print, for example, layers 450-650 to save all that other space?

I aint sure if you can do this with Kisslicer or Slic3r but with Cura i do know that you can go to the advance tab and typ at (Cut off object bottom) to your prefered length,

This way you can type for example 34 (downloaded your file and that seems to be the best length to type in) and it will only print the upper part that you want.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    I aint sure if you can do this with Kisslicer or Slic3r but with Cura i do know that you can go to the advance tab and typ at (Cut off object bottom) to your prefered length,

This way you can type for example 34 (downloaded your file and that seems to be the best length to type in) and it will only print the upper part that you want.
    Thank you very much! I'll give it a try.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Edit your gcode and remove the lines you don't need. It's plain text.

Technician
    I played around with the G Code and got all sorts of weird results. What I eventually ended up finding, quite by accident, is a program called "netfabb basic." It basically allows you to "crop" in the traditional sense, and it worked great to chop off the base of that model so I wasn't using so much ABS. I noticed my printing program (Rep G) wouldn't recognize some experimental cuts I made, but when it came to just square or rectangular cropping in a flat surface, it works great.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I would have recommended Netfabb Studio Basic. We use it for slicing and also for repair of bad objects. It has a lot of useful features for a free program.