Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

What is the best reasonable priced 3d printer and scanner all in one?

I am not able to find much information on the all in ones, the only one that I've found any reasonable information on is the Zeus.

Are there any other decent all in one models that I should be looking at? Preferably a little less expensive? Or should I choose a good 3d printer and a good 3d scanner and use them together?

My wish list would be (but none of these HAVE to be)

• At least 1 scanning and printing dimension of 12"
    • Under 2k dollars street price for the printer and scanner even if I have to purchase 2 pieces of hardware
    • ABS plastic
    • Auto leveling and heated bed
    • Simple to medium level to use (since this will be my first 3d printer)
    • Good software
    • No proprietary print spools

Thanks!
    Last edited by gte; 04-27-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Student
    I just read about the Arc-one 3d printer and that seems reasonable for its large dimensions and price.

What 3d scanner could work well with the Arc-one 3d printing area of 400x400x400?

Staff Engineer
    Making larger models means that any detail that you've captured in your scan is spread out over a larger surface, so you'd want a higher-resolution scanner, all things being equal, although any scanner should work to some extent. But since you want both a scanner and a printer for under $1k, your scanner options are going to be pretty limited. Have you looked at Autodesk's 123D Catch, which is free and works with multiple 2D images you can capture on a cellphone?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gte View Post
    I am not able to find much information on the all in ones, the only one that I've found any reasonable information on is the Zeus.

Are there any other decent all in one models that I should be looking at? Preferrably a little less expensive? Or should I choose a good 3d printer and a good 3d scanner and use them together?

My wish list would be (but none of these HAVE to be)

• At least 1 scanning and printing dimension of 12"
    • Under 1k dollars street price
    • ABS plastic
    • Auto leveling and heated bed
    • Simple to use (since this will be my first 3d printer)
    • Good software
    • No proprietary print spools

Thanks!
    For $1000 you could by a Davinci XYZ scanner for about $380 and a cheap printer for about $500.

The Scanning dimension you will get (XYZ up to about 40" from reviews I've seen, I haven't got mine yet its on the way) The printer you could but a cheap clone like a CTC, which will do BUT you want a 12" build volume which you are not going to get on a readily available printer for $1k or less sorry.

I have seen some all in one devices, but I am unsure how good they are. Personally I think you want too much for the money you want to spend. I would talk to Davo about his Hyrel multi-head machines.
    http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...-Printer-Forum

That all being said, any 3D scanner you buy for say under $500 will not give you a great detail. Even the Isense scanner at $500+ is good, but fine detail is hard to get without going a bit nuts on cost. It looks good when you have a colour texture over it and can imagine it printed in colour sandstone, but you are printing the raw model it creates, and the majority of them look like they've been dipped in honey, alot of loss of fine details.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Is this the scanner you are talking about, I assume not since the price does not line up.

http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Product/3D-Scanner
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vi.../dp/B00OCG91IK

This printer looked pretty nice, I found it a little cheaper elsewhere last week I believe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LulzBot-TAZ-...AAAOSw14xXFSap

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    For $1000 you could by a Davinci XYZ scanner for about $380 and a cheap printer for about $500.

The Scanning dimension you will get (XYZ up to about 40" from reviews I've seen, I haven't got mine yet its on the way) The printer you could but a cheap clone like a CTC, which will do BUT you want a 12" build volume which you are not going to get on a readily available printer for $1k or less sorry.

I have seen some all in one devices, but I am unsure how good they are. Personally I think you want too much for the money you want to spend. I would talk to Davo about his Hyrel multi-head machines.
    http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...-Printer-Forum

That all being said, any 3D scanner you buy for say under $500 will not give you a great detail. Even the Isense scanner at $500+ is good, but fine detail is hard to get without going a bit nuts on cost. It looks good when you have a colour texture over it and can imagine it printed in colour sandstone, but you are printing the raw model it creates, and the majority of them look like they've been dipped in honey, alot of loss of fine details.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We can do a lot on the Hyrel, but we do not have an integrated scanner at present; we are not near $1K, and I don't recommend us to most people as a first printer.

Our most productive users are those who have reached the limits of what their present units can do, and want to do more - have a more hands-on approach to the gcode, combine more materials or processes, or go past their current machine's limits in other ways (like, user our SDK to create their own heads).

I'm happy to talk with anyone, but I think a new user's best path is to buy a simple, low-cost one-material printer and see if this is a passion or a passing fancy. If you find that it is a passion, or a real need, then figure out what you do and do not like about the one you started with, and what abilities, features and amenities are must-haves, nice-to-haves, and immaterial.

Many people have told me that automatic bed leveling and bed detection is a must. We presently have neither. I only level my bed when my skirt looks wonky - once or twice a month (unless I'm showing someone how to do it). And when you have over two dozen different heads, with many different lengths, you accept that you have to take that 90 seconds to set the Z-zero when you change heads.

Most people don't learn to drive in a $75k sports car for a reason.

Student
    Hi,

I do most everything the hard way by jumping in head first, so why not 3d printers? If this will help me with my main hobby (cars) then it will not be a passing interest, and I am hoping it will.

Can you tell me about the software and dimensional capabilities of the Hyrel as well as what scanner would work well in conjunction with it?

I see this, what does the plus mean? I would like to have 330 x 330 x 200, can the Hyrel do that?

• X Axis 225+ mm
    • Y Axis 200+ mm
    • Z Axis 200 mm

I would like nice detail, the proper heads for automotive type things and a case, how much is all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    We can do a lot on the Hyrel, but we do not have an integrated scanner at present; we are not near $1K, and I don't recommend us to most people as a first printer.

Our most productive users are those who have reached the limits of what their present units can do, and want to do more - have a more hands-on approach to the gcode, combine more materials or processes, or go past their current machine's limits in other ways (like, user our SDK to create their own heads).

I'm happy to talk with anyone, but I think a new user's best path is to buy a simple, low-cost one-material printer and see if this is a passion or a passing fancy. If you find that it is a passion, or a real need, then figure out what you do and do not like about the one you started with, and what abilities, features and amenities are must-haves, nice-to-haves, and immaterial.

Many people have told me that automatic bed leveling and bed detection is a must. We presently have neither. I only level my bed when my skirt looks wonky - once or twice a month (unless I'm showing someone how to do it). And when you have over two dozen different heads, with many different lengths, you accept that you have to take that 90 seconds to set the Z-zero when you change heads.

Most people don't learn to drive in a $75k sports car for a reason.

Student
    Is it 4000 dollars?

If that is the case, never mind, I can't spend that

Student
    What about the Airwolf 3d hx if I can find one gently used?

• Prints with Materials: Polycarbonate, Nylon, Nylon Bridge, and more
    • Build envelope WxDxH: 12″X 8″X 12″ (300 mm x 200 mm x 300 mm)
    • Build volume: 1,150 cubic inches (18,878 cubic centimeters)
    • Nozzle diameter (mm): .5 + .35
    • Min. Layer thickness (mm): .06
    • Max Speed (mm/s): Perimeter 150 mm/s, Travel 400 mm/s
    • Theoretical positioning precision (mm): .02
    • Input format: GCode
    • Software: MatterControl (custom configured), Marlin Firmware, compatible with Repetier Host Print Controller, Slic3r GCode generator
    • System compatibility: Windows/Mac
    • Size WxDxH: 24″ x 18″ x 18″ (600 mm x 440 mm x 450 mm)
    • Power supply: Internal auto-switching 13.5V DC, 320W
    • Weight (kg): 18 kg

I would advise you to have a look at the 123D catch software. It does reasonably well for something free. It will also show you that scanning isn't difficult : making a usable mesh afterwards is something else. My personal opinion is that most of the time a scanner is not useful : you can re-design more efficiently (or pay someone to do it for you).
    I agree with the above: unless you have a clear project I would advise you to start simple. Printrbot has a great support, video tutorials and great product reliability. The Simple is quite under your max budget and the Metal Plus is slightly over but they also sell refurbs and then it would come within range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast