Close

Question Searching for high quality, durable, FDA, prints functional prototypes ¿PRINTERS?

Searching for high quality, durable, FDA, nylon!? prints (functional prototypes) reccomendations about printers ?

Good night guys, need a little help over here...
    Like i said, i'm planning to make functional prints , out of FDA materials but durable, like 680 or 910 taluman s nylons, i was searching arround for a reliable printers , i live next to barcelona, spain, and bcn3d sigma is here abailable next to me (best rated quality printer in april in 3dhubs with 0.05 layer height) , i was also interested in ultimaker 2+ (for 0.02 layer height) but at the end found some questions,,
    - in my models , i usually need to make holes that i drive a shaft inside it, so, if my shaft has 15 mm and i make the hole adjusting the tolerance to 15,02 will the printer make a good adjustment out of it, or it will not be reliable , i know it depends of the expansion of the printing material, (nylon in fact i know its quite tricky, like abs) but if i can search the good parmeters for cura, will i be able to control this deviations ? Will the printer be good enough to make clip on models, so one model clip to another one making a gap in one and a hole in another ?
    -what do you think about the bcn3dsigma, i think is good to have the 2nd extruder for the supports in pva (i rather waste some pva in each print , i want quality, no matter for some cents by print) , but the layer height of 0.05 is what i would like to be 0.02 like the ultimaker, any tought or consideration of other printers?budget is not a big issue until 5000 , is my company project and they relay on me , but i need to accomplish what i say the printer will do.
    -that point i cannot find much info about, does pva supports work well with taluman nylons? Any preference in brands?
    I hope with that huge and gret community i can find all this answers as the expertise of the users talk by itself !!
    Great to be a part of the comunitty , and looking forward for the printer already !!
    Thanks guys!!!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    .02 or 20 micron layer heights are rarely used or practical, .1 or 100micron is generally all you will ever need and most printers will do that. Know also that 20 micron prints take up to 10 times longer to print than 200 micron. That 1 hour print is now 10 hours. That 3 hour print is now 30 hours. etc...

As for hole sizes it is best to print slightly oversized, like 15.1mm for a 15mm hole and ream with a straight flute reamer if needed. Any sort of drive shaft should be supported by bearings, otherwise the friction will melt the plastic.